Sign in to follow this  
Lenb

1969 Covertible Quarter panel replacement

Welcome to the friendliest site in world! Not having a convertible, or a brain with a memory, I can't answer your question. I'm sure some of the convertible guys will be along with an answer. I do remember a thread somewhere that addressed your issue. I think one quarter had a horizontal line aft the wheel opening and the other didn't. Sorry I can't help you.

Any pics and info on your car, and in what part of the world do you live?

Bob

You've probably got the best sheet metal you're going to find. The odds of finding a rust-free donor or NOS convertible sheet metal are very slim, and the asking price would be high if you did. I'd say use what you've got. It will take some good body work, but the challenge is what it's all about anyway. I recommend splicing just below the top of the quarter so you preserve the unique contour of the top-side metal (that's what I did). Good luck, keep us posted.

bad is the metal on the car?

where is the damage?

depending on whats wrong with the car i would be tempted to hunt up a good used coupe qtr panel and splice it in rigth below the top of the qtr body line

bob

The car was in an accident may years ago and they just pulled things together and brazed it. When I had the frame straighten it popped everything apart. Now it is time to do it right. The car was t-boned and from the cowl to the rear quarter is bent a brazed and filled up to 1/2 in. thick......All need gone and corrected.

Edited by Lenb

Not sure if it's too late to say this but I think I would have found a coupe and taken the section with the qtr, rocker, and door post off as an assembly and installed onto the convertible. You would add the inner rocker in at that time and convert the upper part of the qtr as well.

I am in the process of a rebuild of my 66 conv and I have the rear part stripped to the frame rails and the entire rear qtr section and trunk floor is coming off of a coupe and then will have the upper part of the qtrs converted to conv by using the original conv metal parts

Bob

When I did the quarter skins on my coupe I joined the new skin to the old quarter just below the top body line like they are suggesting above. Here are some pics to show where I joined mine.

100_0529_zpsf492d495.jpg

Here is a pic from inside the trunk.

100_0499_zps1515f824.jpg

Here is a pic after I cut off the old quarter skin to show how much I left below the top body line.

100_0494_zps28f88375.jpg

Convertibles make the work hard but more rewarding in the end. Take your time. My car had extensive damage due to a poor repair done years before. I got lucky and found a wrecked convertible for the donor quarter panel.

caropen13.jpg

convqpaneloncar1.jpg

rdLRqpan.jpg