Sign in to follow this  
juit

diy self locking diferential on a 8 inch

You can look for an. 8" posi, or you can install that unit you show. Either way you have to take the pumpkin apart and reset it.

Installing an 8.8 is easy if you can weld or know someone. You need to buy the perches and weld them to the rear end

You could also do some fab work and modify your car to use a 4 link like the factory setup

If you got the sonar car as a wreck I bet you could cut the rear frame sections out and weld them into your car and use the rear with all the stock late model suspension

Bob

Here is an excerpt that was buried in the thread. The thread is from the point of view of a 1965. How does that compare to a 1969?

"I'll measure when its all put together to confirm but here is what i get out of it. 65 is 57 1/4 the explorer is 59 1/2. i took off 3 inches making it 56 1/2 so that would would put it 3/4 shorter than ur stock axle, 3/8 shorter on each side. not to bad. if ur going with currie or something to that affect you should be able to get the axles in any length so you could narrow it to exactly 57 1/4"

Here is an excerpt that was buried in the thread. The thread is from the point of view of a 1965. How does that compare to a 1969?

"I'll measure when its all put together to confirm but here is what i get out of it. 65 is 57 1/4 the explorer is 59 1/2. i took off 3 inches making it 56 1/2 so that would would put it 3/4 shorter than ur stock axle, 3/8 shorter on each side. not to bad. if ur going with currie or something to that affect you should be able to get the axles in any length so you could narrow it to exactly 57 1/4"

Actually I guess it really depends on the choice of wheels too.

They come in all sorts of back spacing. I think 69 and 70 is 59 1/4 axle flange to axle flange .

With the proper wheel backspacing this would probably work out good.

Just did a search and found a link that the 8.8 in the big ford cars has a width of 63 inches .

I wonder if they are off set like the explorer? If so with the 3 inches cut off that would give you 60 inch width and the stock width of 69 mustang is 59 1/4. That would only give you 3/8 per side longer.

Edited by det0326