Sign in to follow this  
stangnet33

Lower panel/molding under steering column ?

I starting pulling my interior apart and came across this when I was thinking about starting to pull the steering column. I guessing this in just butch job, but does anyone have a pic of the proper way this lower panel should be mounted/installed ? Thx

DSC_0113.jpg

its common for the plastic ears to break off. I think mine is held by one screw only since the other side broke. I'll have to check that out, I had forgotten about it.

Glad to help ya lol ! Why should I be the only one spending money.

You should keep your eyes open for the rubber gasket that is part of this assembly. Brian

It's still there amazingly. I'll check the fleabay ones. What's the quality like ? I see them as high as $50 for a Scott Drake one.

Not to hijack but what keeps these panels attached near the column? I bought an aftermarket one (Ford tooling from CJ Pony part# SCC5L) and besides the two screws along the bottom, I don't see how its attached at the top. There are two spring tabs that separate the panel from the instrument cluster. Its just kind of flopping around and can see why tabs get broken if this is the case.

Not to hijack but what keeps these panels attached near the column? I bought an aftermarket one (Ford tooling from CJ Pony part# SCC5L) and besides the two screws along the bottom, I don't see how its attached at the top. There are two spring tabs that separate the panel from the instrument cluster. Its just kind of flopping around and can see why tabs get broken if this is the case.

correct. the panel is only held in position by those two screws. any unfortunate event that puts weight on the panel, and they snap off at the tabs.

I like the 'botch job' he has already. Stronger. My 70 was missing the panel so I bought a second hand OEM piece. Was not impressed by the design. I have an idea to fit a strip of sheetmetal along the edge, to reinforce it. rivet it in a few places, then drill through at the mounting holes.

Which is not so different to the OP's piece - just that his metal strip is on the outside. Paint it black and call it an upgrade.

Silly design and just a cosmetic trim part. I wonder who approved the engineering for that part?