Sign in to follow this  
RPM

Educate Me- PM's On Tech Questions

I see this on a lot of car forums, during a really nice tech question where an answer to a good question is raised, a major player in the discussion PM's info to the thread starter. Wth? No one else who is following needs the info??? Is it secret squirrel info? It sure burns my a$$. Usually someone jumps in to request the secret info. I'm only referring to threads w/o parts for sale. Am I missing something, or overly sensitive? Rant over :)

Bob

Edited by RPM

I see that all the time too. Not this site but other sites if you ask a similar question, everyone tells you to search the archives. Nothing worse than spending 30 minutes searching then finding the perfect thread only to have it end with "I'll PM you the answer". I've even PM'd the PM'er to see if he would PM me the PM....HA!

Unless you are offering to help someone local by means other than the forum, sell them on your companies product or some other alterior motive, I am not sure why this would occur. It's not like a PM is easier. Maybe people do not know how to subscribe to a thread or they know they will get an email when they get a PM to remind them or something.

How about when the answer is discredited by a know-it all that probably doesn't know jack, probably read it somewhere else or thinks it just sounds good. Let the pissing match begin. Giving bad or poor info seems to be some the norm on the internet. So giving a good, accurate answer in the open can be regretted I suppose. Also in the trade it seems quite common for techs to keep things they've learned/discovered to themselves or only share with select few. And yes the old "this has been discussed to death/several times, research the archives, did you do a search before you asked " .... makes a newcomer feel so welcome. Don't get me wrong, as I don't support keeping secrets/things from others, just maybe how some people feel.