Sign in to follow this  
Chris'69Mach

What is the best way to burp cooling system?

I had been running about 187* with my 180* stat until the day I had to work on my heater box. I had to disconnect the hoses to the heater core. Now I am running 200+*. I have a very strong suspicion that I now have air in the system.

What is the best way to burp the cooling system?

I usually take off the heater hose on the intake manifold. Then I fill with coolant until it comes out of the fitting, then put the hose back on.

Well, I think it may be too late to do that. I have run the engine and believe the air pocket is somewhere deeper in the engine.

Pakrat .... Wouldn't I need to squeeze the hose once the stat opens up? That would be a fairly hot hose?

The rad overflow was puking (boiling over) telling me that I had air in the system and that is why it is running hot.

Suggestions?

Keep in mind I have a Cleveland and my rad. hose and heater core hoses are prolly in diff. locations.

I service coolant about a inch from the top, then I just run the engine with the radiator cap off. Rev it a dozen times or so, even with the tstat closed you can see bubbles clear up. once the tstat opens, the water level in the radiater rises, rev a few more times until it gets close to spilling over, shut engine off, let it cool with the cap off, then top off coolant.

As coolant flows from the rear of the heads forward, having the front end up off the ground, either by jacks, or nose-in on your driveway if its sloped, can help get the bubble towards the radiator hose.