Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

What do I do with all the PWR wires

I'm running out of places to get "Key On" power. So far I've been using the main fuse box, but there is ONLY so many places to tap into.

I tried looking under the dash to mount another fuse box, but haven't located a good spot.

What are you using to run additional power to with the key on only.

Here's what I'm trying to power:

Amp

Trans Temp Gauge

Overdrive switch

Amp meter Gauge

Water Temp Gauge

Tach

Power for lights:

Same as above, plus the Oil Gauge.

Appreciate any ideas, Thanks!

Midlife-Sorry, but what are you asking, "Key in RUN only, or ACC?"

If I think what your asking, I'd like to have them all wired to turn on when the key is in the run position.

I have the Acc group option that includes the wire in your photo. Out of the three holes, on that wire, one is used for the brake light mounted near the ignition (1969).

Are you suggesting to tap into that wire or the post. How many items could I get to work off of that. Also, would that wire be good to use as another fuse box?

Edited by prayers1

Most everything runs when either the key is in RUN or ACC, with the exception of the coil and associated voltage regulation wiring that is required when the engine is running. If you don't care that your power needs can be activated with the key in ACC position, use the buss extender that you have. It's good to 20 amps.

Is it possible to tie the gauges, oil, water, trans temp and overdrive switch to one line with an in line fuse going to that post.

I assume the volt meter will need its on line.

I found one of the light blue light pwr wires that I've been using to tie in the water, oil & volt gauge lights. Is that alright? I was also going to tie in the Trans temp gauge light into that same wire.

With all of those extra feeds for the gauge lights, I now be using another light blue wire for lights only to the auto shifter indicator and radio. Is that too much voltage for the light blue wire system?

take a look at my photobucket pictures of the constant on solenoid that energizes the common terminal block that's used to power all my add in accessories.

Edited by Alan_Mac

OP,

Do you have A/C? Or a mini-starter? I mounted a small blade style fuse block inside of my glove box. It is powered from a wire off the back of my mini-starter. The power wire runs up the rear right side of my engine and into the car through the heater hose block off plug since I have A/C. From there into the glove box and the fuse block. Bruce

Bruce,

I just bought the DB Electrical Mini Torque Starter. Haven't installed it yet. I'm a little confused and wanted to give them a call, but its a Holiday weekend. It doesn't have just the one big lug from the battery. It has 2 terminals, one large lug and one short lug, I assume the red wire they provide has to go on the small lug but from there where??