Sign in to follow this  
Dave R.

am/fm speaker

My am/fm stereo is a Ford unit that seems to be period correct but wasn't original to my car. The car was equipped with a am unit with the in-dash speaker when new. There is a 2 wire lead that I assume is the power and radio light. There is a 3 wire lead that I assume is speaker leads. If I want to use ONLY a in-dash speaker which wires of the 3 wire lead do I use? Thanks. Dave.

You can try to tie the orange and white wires together as the hot lead; the black wire is the ground, but your radio may not like it. You are much better off getting the two speaker set-up (stereo) replacement unit for the in-dash speaker.

They make a dual-speaker setup that fits in the original AM dash speaker location.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/custom-autosound-dash-speaker-dual-voice-coil-1967-1973/p/SPK37/

I have one and it plugs directly into the harness. Unfortunately, the sound isn't great but I don't use the radio much so it's ok for my purposes. If sound quality matters to you, you might try fabricating something with better quality speakers that mounts in the dash location. A search should turn up some members here that have done it.

The speaker was gone when I got the car and I didn't remove the radio, my body man did. This is the my understanding. The radio plugs into the harness and then the speaker plugs into the harness. The speaker doesn't plug directly into the radio, correct? I am not interested in concert quality music. I'd be happy with the original am unit. Thanks a lot. Great looking 'vert you have there. Dave.

Thanks Midlife. That clears up the mess. It must be a lot easier to restore something that someone else didn't disassemble. If I ever do another one I damn sure won't start with someone else's abandoned project.

If you would be happy with the original AM radio, and that was what is correct for the car, why not re-install one? AM radios are cheap, and the AM FM radios can be sold for quite a bit. I have seen them for sale in fleabay for over $1000.

Danno, I hadn't thought about the am/fm stereo unit being that valuable. I have a shop locally that is going to test it. If it is usable then I'll decide which way to go. Thanks much. Dave.

Danno, I hadn't thought about the am/fm stereo unit being that valuable. I have a shop locally that is going to test it. If it is usable then I'll decide which way to go. Thanks much. Dave.

If it's an authentic 1969 model, it's quite valuable, even if it doesn't work (check it for a C9 part number). Ford used the same basic radio (with minor cosmetic changes) through the early 1980's, however, and the later years are much cheaper as FM radio got more popular and commonplace. I put a 1974 model in my car that I paid $75 for.