Sign in to follow this  
colbysunday

Tire/rim question

I have a 69 coupe with stock wheels on it. I want a little wider tire in the rear. What size should I get? I don't want it extremely wider than the front tire, but a little wider. I want to eventually upgrade to some Cragar rims too. Would the front and rear rims be the same size?

I found out the biggest rim you can fit on all fours is 15x7". I go with the same size all around because I find my tread disappears very quickly from the back tires for some reason...not sure why either but I always rotate front to rear to max the tire replacement intervals.

Some people like bigger tires in the back. Years ago I got teased as a teenage for big in back and small if front....I was asked if I thought my car was faster cause it is always going downhill. Lol! But seriously, I think it is preference . I like the same size for the one reason already mentioned plus with a heavy motor up front, it helps with cornering. I go thru rear tires pretty fast doing what a cobra jet is supposed to do. I love the surprised looks and pissed off looks when all people can see are my tail lights. ;)

This is a complicated question without more info... lots more, like about your ride height, intended use, suspension components, etc. I will say, folks have fit 9.5" wide wheels in front and up to 10.5" wide wheels in the rear. Those are the extremes, but anything between 7-8" wide will fit the front without much concern, assuming you get the backspacing right. And anything 8-9" wide in the rear will fit without much concern, again assuming you get the backspacing right. As for tire widths, it depends on the wheel size and backspacing you choose, but 225-245 wide is common in front, and folks have been able to fit up to a 295 in the rear with the right offset and a bit of fender rolling, My suggestion is that you take a look at this article to get you started:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/mufp-0612-ford-mustang-wheel/

I have 15-7 cragars on the rear with R235-15's and 14-6's on the front with R205 tires. I have no ps and the smaller tires make it much easier steering. The rears like a previous post have a penchant for disappearing but its a lot cheaper buying two at a time instead of all four at the same time.

I went with 225/70/15 on 15x7 Magnum 500s. I think it is all about the look. I got talked into 225s from 215s and in hind sight, i wish I would have gotten the 215s. The 225s look a little "muscley" which is not what I was going for.

The only pic that I have on hand is this one so its hard to tell.

It is ALL PREFERENCE and what look you are going for.

Nellie2_zpsd7f9169e.jpg