Sign in to follow this  
po51

351W with dual quads

Has anyone inslalled the Edelbrock Air Gap dual quad intake on their 69 351 W. They reccomend the 500cfm carbs, so my question is will they fit under a stock hood?

Thanks for feedback Steve

Max Power: I agree that is too much CFM for a 351W, but if the 351W version of this manifold is the same as the FE version, only Edelbrock or Carter carbs will fit. The carbs are too close together to use Holleys.

In my book, most dual quad setups are only good for the "wow" factor when you popped the hood.

I'm not sure you have your facts straight.

It's all in how you set it up. As far as "wow factor", lots-o-that!

Thanks for the info. the engine I'm building is a stroker 408 with major work on the stock heads JBA headers 400+ hp. My question still is does anyone know if the edelbrock air gap dual quad set up with their 500 cfm carbs will fit under the stock hood?

I'm not sure you have your facts straight.

It's all in how you set it up. As far as "wow factor", lots-o-that!

I have them very straight. With the exception of pro stock drag racers and a few others, how many racers do you see running dual quads? The fastest street cars around are either EFI or single carb. I've been playing with hotrods since the early 80's. Very few dual quad cars I've seen have been impressive performers. Most dual quads setups are for show, not for go.

You dual Dominators might impress the kids. It doesn't me. Unless that's sitting on a 800ci mountain motor or you spin 10,000 rpm, you're way over carbed. You could have done this and got the same cfm for a lot less money.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by maxum96

But my question is will they fit under the hood, not is it what you would do. I like the looks, not building a racer. When I was younger my uncle had a 57 Tbird E code 312 with the dual quad setup ever since then I've wanted a car with dual carbs for looks.

I have them very straight. With the exception of pro stock drag racers and a few others, how many racers do you see running dual quads? The fastest street cars around are either EFI or single carb. I've been playing with hotrods since the early 80's. Very few dual quad cars I've seen have been impressive performers. Most dual quads setups are for show, not for go.

You dual Dominators might impress the kids. It doesn't me. Unless that's sitting on a 800ci mountain motor or you spin 10,000 rpm, you're way over carbed. You could have done this and got the same cfm for a lot less money.

hqdefault.jpg

It’s an independent runner setup. The 1050s are actually a lil small, but you know that too right?

1050s have a 1-3/4 or 45m bore. A 351 has a 725cc cylinder. A 45mm carb on a 730cc (.040 over 351) single cylinder is not too big at all.

Like I said before, it’s all in the set up.

It’s an independent runner setup. The 1050s are actually a lil small, but you know that too right?

1050s have a 1-3/4 or 45m bore. A 351 has a 725cc cylinder. A 45mm carb on a 730cc (.040 over 351) single cylinder is not too big at all.

Like I said before, it’s all in the set up.

Whatever. I hope that your 351C spins 10,000+ to make any use of your Dominators. Try reading the latest issue of Hot Rod. BES Racing engines built a 609ci pseudo Pontiac Ram Air V (not one piece was factory Pontiac) that was heavily modified and built. Huge tunnel port style heads. It's a high dollar motor. They ran a single Dominator style carb by CFM Performance carbs. It was rated at 1,650 cfm. It spun up to 8,100 rpm and made over 1,200hp. So I'm a little curious as to how you feel your 351C is going to make use of 2100 cfm of carb.