Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

Selling my Torino...Interesting Observation

I've decided to sell my '71 Torino GT and so far I have been surprised at the lack of interest I have gotten in the car. I'm not asking for an outrageous amount for the car ($16,000 OBO) and the car is well worth it. After nearly two months of advertising it on Craigslist, another online site, two Torino Forums, and four different active Torino Facebook pages I've only had two tire kickers. I've gotten a ton of compliments on the car on all of these sites about how nice it is but even the Torino enthusiasts are only looking for the $4k-$5k basket cases that need a ton of work. No one wants to put up extra money for a solid car that they can drive and enjoy and will ultimately save them money in the long run.

For some reason Torinos have never garnered the same respect as comparable '71 cars (i.e. Chevelle and Challenger) whereas the same year Chevelle or Challenger in like condition would be bringing in several thousand more than I'm asking for my Torino. What I find more interesting is that there are Fewer Torinos on the road than Mustangs, yet if this car was a '69/'70 Mustang in comparable condition it would have been sold already. There's just no respect for the '70/'71 Torinos and it boggles my mind. They are great cars and ride so much better than smaller muscle cars, but there just isn't the same kind of demand.

I don't get it either. I loves me some Torino. My brother had a yellow 70 Torino GT with shaker and 351C. Loved that car. I bought a diecast 1:18 scale model and detailed it to look like his car including the bench seat, shaker, and steering wheel. Gave it to him on his birthday last year. He damn near cried.

Took this pic of one on a trailer back a year or so ago. Not sure why there isn't more love for them....

Edited by miketyler

I've decided to sell my '71 Torino GT and so far I have been surprised at the lack of interest I have gotten in the car. I'm not asking for an outrageous amount for the car ($16,000 OBO) and the car is well worth it. After nearly two months of advertising it on Craigslist, another online site, two Torino Forums, and four different active Torino Facebook pages I've only had two tire kickers. I've gotten a ton of compliments on the car on all of these sites about how nice it is but even the Torino enthusiasts are only looking for the $4k-$5k basket cases that need a ton of work. No one wants to put up extra money for a solid car that they can drive and enjoy and will ultimately save them money in the long run.

For some reason Torinos have never garnered the same respect as comparable '71 cars (i.e. Chevelle and Challenger) whereas the same year Chevelle or Challenger in like condition would be bringing in several thousand more than I'm asking for my Torino. What I find more interesting is that there are Fewer Torinos on the road than Mustangs, yet if this car was a '69/'70 Mustang in comparable condition it would have been sold already. There's just no respect for the '70/'71 Torinos and it boggles my mind. They are great cars and ride so much better than smaller muscle cars, but there just isn't the same kind of demand.

Yep, all true stuff. But you probably knew that before you bought it. I've always loved the 72 Torino/Ranchero, mainly because of the front end and full frame. Most folks buy cars based on aesthetics, some on power and others to flip and make money. Lots of folks erroneously believe fixing up a beater is the cheapest way to go. Since restore/rebuilds on any car is pretty much the same in dollars, is always best to start with a popular car that brings more dollars when sold.

Bob

Edited by RPM

There are a lot fewer people that like those cars and even fewer that like them and want one

Then of the people that do what one, how many have $16000 to pony up?

That's the primary problem

You may want to put it in an auction with a reserve or call gas monkey, have Richard come out, give him a couple of beers and see how much money you can squeeze him for

Bob