Sign in to follow this  
Kris

69 convertible boot molding repair or replace

I have been looking into replacing my convertible boot molding with new. Mine are not horribly bad but are pitted and most of the rest of the trim on my car is new. I am trying to decide if I am going to have mine rechromed or just replace it with new. I see cj's and npd sell them. They have came down also as the last time I saw them they were $600 now they are $360. I found a place out of canada (pg classic restoration parts) that reproduces them. I am sure this is where most of the dealers get them from and they are a little cheaper at $295 +$30 shipping. Has anyone used them before? There are not any chrome shops near me that do decorative chrome and I know it will cost me more than this to have my originals restored. I am mainly looking at the two hockey stick ends as my center section is in perfect condition. Here is the link to the place I found.

I haven't had to re-chrome in decades but I think it would be hard to find someone who would do a good job for $300+. We've had a few threads on those hockey sticks since they got reproduced, I believe the consensus is the quality is good.

BTW, the center section is actually stainless not chrome, that's why it still looks good!

Thanks pak. I know the center is stainless, I just meant it wasn't all beat up and dented. Do you know on the new hockey sticks if they are chromed pot metal like the originals or are they formed stainless?

I used them, they are good quality. I bought them direct from PG Classic before the resto shops started carrying them. Good fit, nice chrome and they're not pot metal. I had to shim a couple of spots to enable the tabs on the boot cover to slide freely underneath but other than that no complaints. Price was less than the quote I got to re-chrome the originals. PG Classic occasionally lists them on eBay at a discount if you're not in a hurry.

I saw they had them on ebay a while back but have not seen them in quite some time. I am not in any hurry though. Nice to hear they are good quality and not pot metal. I think that is what I will go with and just sell my originals. They are in pretty good shape and would be excellent for a driver. But since all the rest of my chrome is either new or repolished It would look stupid having two old pieces on the corners and I can't see paying way more to have mine redone when I can get new ones that aren't pot metal. Thanks for the replies.

But since all the rest of my chrome is either new or repolished It would look stupid having two old pieces on the corners and I can't see paying way more to have mine redone when I can get new ones that aren't pot metal.

Exactly the same thought process I went through. Although I'm keeping my originals, so when the day comes I have crazy money to throw away*, I'll re-chrome the originals and sell the re-pops. Those things are rare as hen's teeth.

*(Not going to happen in my lifetime, but I'm a pack rat when it comes to OEM parts.)

Kris, I sent you a PM.

I had my originals chrome plated by a local shop a couple years ago. Replacements had just become available, but were costly.

I wasn't sure if the aged pitted pot metal would hold up, but it came out very good. It had two flaws, one would be covered by the stainless and the other was pretty small.

I was happy with the price and they looked great. I think I was more shocked by the high price of getting my stainless piece polished.

Joe