Sign in to follow this  
Coupe

331 blow through carb

Hey guys, Soo im getting a little bored with the 331 stroker and want a little more power. Was debating on building a 408, but I've been really getting into turbos latley. My daily is a 1999 saab 9-3 with a holset hx35, once its spooled, it SKOOTS! I've gotten to the point that my daily is more fun to drive hahaha. So im looking to to do a single turbo setup on a blow through carb. Here's the specs on the motor...

331 stroker all forged internals( I beams, KB forged pistons, Forged crank) with a 40 over block

190cc procomp heads that had quite a bit of work done

10.5 cr

600 Holley (1460)

Headers

Weiland intake

Rolling thunder cam (.576 int and .584 exh give or take a few)

Msd

3200 tci street fighter converter

3.73 posi (8.8 out of 92' explorer)

Rev limited at 6500

I was wondering...

1). I'm not familar with single turbos on a v8.. Are they powered by one bank or two?

2). Are there any good kits available that will fit? I'll probably be relocating the battery to the trunk and get a slim electric fan also..

3). Should i run e85 or just keep 91 and dial back timing? e85 is easily accessible in my area and this is not a daily.

4). I know i will need to run oil/coolant lines.. Is anyone familiar with this?

There might be more questions later but thanks ahead of time!

Yeah, traditionally, 10.5 is a bit high for going turbo, but it depends on controlling timingand fuel, and how much boost you run. An alternative could be to shim the heads or change the heads to something with a larger chamber... going from 60cc to 64cc would probably drop compression almost a full point.

With regard to the questions...

1. Both banks feed a single turbo.

2. There was someone making a kit for vintage Mustangs, but I think they're out of business, so you'll likely have to fab the kit yourself, though you can probably find off-the-shelf parts for some of it.

3. Im a pump gas fan for convenience sake, but E85 seems the easy choice. But do consider if you leave your local area... What will you run? And don't forget that E85 doesn't have a long shelf life and will likely require changing some of your fuel system and lines.

4. You'll need high pressure oil supply line, and a drain line (probably to the pan). As for coolant line, that depends on the turbo you choose, but there are many that are oil cooled only, so you may not need to run coolant lines.

It sounds like you have a lot of research to do... Start googling.

You can do a single turbo or 2 smaller turbos depending on what you want and how it will fit.

With the CR you have I would be looking at a smaller single turbo and be sure to have a waste gate to get rid of excess boost so you don't over boost the engine.

Getting blow through carbs to work with turbos or superchargers are a pain to get dialed in. If it was me I would include the conversion to injection at the same time. It will be so much better for the engine, easier to setup, and easier to drive with injection

Bob

Check out the turbo forums.

High comp motors are the new thing for turbo motors on e 85. If you do run e85 look into ptfe line for your fuel side. For a single turbo set up, I would run no lower than a 76mm on a v8, with a 2" cross over pipe. I like the Borg Warrener turbos, due to oem realiablty and cost and you can get waterless turbos so you don't need coolant, only oil. Also look into turbo smart bov's and waste gates. I like them over the tial stuff I used to run.

I should of been updating my build thread on here eh?