prayers1

Steering column question

I'm replacing the steering box and noticed after it was removed from the rag joint, the end of the column shaft just hangs freely. I can pick it up and run it around with in the inner circle of the tube. Also, the white plastic sleeve thats around the shaft keeps sliding out. I tried to find an exploded view and I think I'm seeing that a doughnut of some sort goes around the column shaft and inside of the white plastic sleeve. Is that correct?

Does the shaft have that much play after the steering box is removed.

****How can I replace the doughnut and white sleeve w/o taking the column apart.****

The steering wheel side feels fine and I do not believe it needs rebuilding, but I can take the steering wheel and with the slightest movement, cause the shaft at the other end to make contact with the inside of the column tube.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you

Here are pics of my column restoration. I got the foam donuts from

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/catalog/60

My inner column lower plastic retainer was in good shape but they reproduce now.IMG_8641_zpsb538d6cc.jpg

This is the diagram

IMG_8642_zps1de23dd3.jpg
Plastic retainer at the bottom of the outer tube. Notice relief in the outer tube in which the notches of the plastic ring fit into. Also, notice the fingers at the bottom of the plastic ring, this is where the gray foam donut slides into. I think musclecar research reproduces the plastic ring now too.

IMG_8643_zps0759fd4d.jpg
Gray foam donut

IMG_8644_zps0f657355.jpg
Installed

IMG_8645_zpsadf888e7.jpg
With inner column installed

IMG_8640_zpsdcc9c7a2.jpg
Inner shaft prior to installation. The donut on the shaft didnt really fit well and tore in the final install. The bottom donut goes around the drive shaft and inside the inner column. The center knockout for this donut goes between the two metal pieces of the rag joint (3B361) in the diagram.

Edited by 69volunteer

Thank you for taking the time to post the pictures. I clearly see what your talking about.

Can you explain how you take the center shaft out. Is it complicated?

My steering wheel is still on, so I don't know how the shaft comes out.

In my mind, I'm thinking it's just a c-clip that you take off and the shaft drops out. Is that wishful thinking?

Can the shaft be removed when the steering box, motor and steering components are off the car,

or do you have to drop the entire column and remove it from the car.

Edited by prayers1

Steering shaft slides into inner tube, inner tube slides into outer tube--all from the bottom.

You can leave the wheel on and unbolt the colum from the firewall and lower dash. Really not that bad.

Shaft has to come out from the bottom because of upper flange of rag joint

Edited by 69volunteer

Yes, I realize that. What at the steering wheel end needs to come off to allow the shaft to fall out.

Once the shaft slides down, does anything inside the column come apart. My point is, that my guts are OK, I just want to replace the white sleeve and bushing on the bottom.

IIRC, there is a snap ring under the turn signal switch that holds the shaft in place.

EDIT: Ok, not a great pic but if you look close at the base of the shaft you can see the snap ring there.

Edited by miketyler
EDIT: added pic

Stupid question I asked about "sliding the shaft out from the engine compartment". I see now that it's impossible to go past the shock tower. I just might order the sponge bushing and cut a slit in it to go over the shaft. This way I hope it will keep the white plastic bushing from dropping down.

Guys,

Hoping to revisit this topic a bit. I'm in the middle of this now.

I have the two plastic pieces shown in the pics that look like they need to be replaced. It looks like the longer tubular piece can be had at the website you mentioned for $20. what about the other notched ring? Can it be purchased to refurb the steering wheel?

I don't see any "foam pieces" in my column, I'm not understanding what I need those for from what I see.

[ATTACH]18151[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18152[/ATTACH]

The foam pieces have prolly rotted out by now (LOL) that's why they aren't there. The taller white plastic piece as far as I know is obsolete. I have searched for it numerous times with out luck. You might be able to find it NOS on someone's shelf but that will be a matter of looking at the right time and at the right place. Bruce

Got it on the foam pieces… makes sense.

But when you say the "taller white piece" isn't that the part I can find here?:

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/C9AZ-7347-A

For me it's down to what about that ring with the notches in it? (And kinda why & how & where on the foam pieces. I look at those and it seems I can go get some random packing foam and cut circles in it and use that. )

But where can I get that notched ring? To me that is the hard part.

Jay

I re-did mine in 2011 and bought the 3 foam pieces from MuscleCarResearch.

The taller ring was completely gone from my column and not yet being reproduced, so I was forced to make my own retainer (made it out of a piece of white PVC and added a screw in the bottom of the column tube to hold it in place). Without it, the inner shaft to column foam doughnut would just work it's way out eventually.

The split-ring that holds the foam in place between the outer & inner column tubes was fine, so I was able to re-use it. Does not look like there is anything seriously wrong with yours, so I'd think you should be able to re-use it too.

Making your own foam would be more effort (IMO) than the $10 cost of buying the "correct" foam set from MCR at the same time as buying the taller retainer. There are actually 3 pc. of foam, the 3rd one goes into the end of the steering shaft:

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/C9AZ-3E629-A ... $5.00

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/C9AZ-7C102-A ... $5.00

Doug

Picture is what was left of my inner shaft foam, just a little turd that shrunk to maybe 2/3 of the ID but was still stuck to the wall inside the shaft !!

Edited by stangs-R-me

I re-did mine in 2011 and bought the 3 foam pieces from MuscleCarResearch.

The taller ring was completely gone from my column and not yet being reproduced, so I was forced to make my own retainer (made it out of a piece of white PVC and added a screw in the bottom of the column tube to hold it in place). Without it, the inner shaft to column foam doughnut would just work it's way out eventually.

The split-ring that holds the foam in place between the outer & inner column tubes was fine, so I was able to re-use it. Does not look like there is anything seriously wrong with yours, so I'd think you should be able to re-use it too.

Making your own foam would be more effort (IMO) than the $10 cost of buying the "correct" foam set from MCR at the same time as buying the taller retainer. There are actually 3 pc. of foam, the 3rd one goes into the end of the steering shaft:

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/C9AZ-3E629-A ... $5.00

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/C9AZ-7C102-A ... $5.00

Doug

Picture is what was left of my inner shaft foam, just a little turd that shrunk to maybe 2/3 of the ID but was still stuck to the wall inside the shaft !!

Edited by stangs-R-me

Thanks a ton guys. I had gone ahead and gotten the repro sleeve, and one of the foam pieces. I didn't order the 2 piece one. I just now went back and got that too - thanks for making it clear. So that should be everything I need to rebuild my column. I plan to take pics and show how it is assembled…. once I figure all of that out. I can't get to it until week after next, so it will be awhile before I get there, but I'll post when I do.

Also, after inspection and cleaning, I agree. the "notched ring" i have does seem usable, so I don't need to replace that part. Initially I thought it broke free of the sleeve, but I can see that was a mistake - they are separate parts, and my ring seems to be fine (after knocking 40+ yrs of grit and grime off it!)

Jay

Edited by JayEstes

Thanks a ton guys. I had gone ahead and gotten the repro sleeve, and one of the foam pieces. I didn't order the 2 piece one. I just now went back and got that too - thanks for making it clear. So that should be everything I need to rebuild my column. I plan to take pics and show how it is assembled…. once I figure all of that out. I can't get to it until week after next, so it will be awhile before I get there, but I'll post when I do.

Also, after inspection and cleaning, I agree. the "notched ring" i have does seem usable, so I don't need to replace that part. Initially I thought it broke free of the sleeve, but I can see that was a mistake - they are separate parts, and my ring seems to be fine (after knocking 40+ yrs of grit and grime off it!)

Jay

Edited by JayEstes