Sign in to follow this  
BandBSTANGS

Panel at the end of 1/4 panels

My 1970 coupe has had a used rear body panel welded in and the inside is ragged. I don't know what you call the panel (rear body panel extension or rear 1/4 close out panel). I've checked and panel is made for fastback but not for coupe.

Has any one made the panel or have a pattern? I have a friends son that is a fabricator and I'm just trying to see if someone has done anything like this and trying to give him something to start with.

Thanks

Quarter extension. Try a mustang salvage. That's where I got mine they are pot metal and almost not repairable.

There's one near me, he's super knowledgeable and will ship parts from a pretty decent sized yard. Its called Missouri mustang. Just Google it or it may be http://www.Missourimustang.com I think I gave $20-$25 each for mine out of the yard.

Edited by bomccorkle

My 1970 coupe has had a used rear body panel welded in and the inside is ragged. I don't know what you call the panel (rear body panel extension or rear 1/4 close out panel). I've checked and panel is made for fastback but not for coupe.

Has any one made the panel or have a pattern? I have a friends son that is a fabricator and I'm just trying to see if someone has done anything like this and trying to give him something to start with.

Thanks

You can find used 1/4 extensions on ebay.

Not sure how good they are but they are on there from time to time.

Thanks

I have a 1/4 extension for a coupe and I think it is a 69 but not sure if it is the same as the 70 or not. I think it is the driver side if that is the side you need post a picture and if its the same it's your for the price of shipping.

Dave

Sorry, maybe I'm confusing every one,I need the panels that 1/4 extensions bolt over. Where the 1/4 panel ends and makes the 90 degree turn.

The panel is actually part of the oem 1/4 panel and is what the ends of the rear bodypanel/tailamp panel welds to. The studs on the 1/4 extension actually go thru this panel and the nuts tighten up against these panels inside the trunk

I too had to make my own.

The ones in the salvage yards, at least around me, are total crap. the good ones were long gone.

I documented my build of the corners here:

http://www.theracg.com/2014/02/more-mustang-unobtainium-trunk-corners/

I'm putting a 70 tail panel on, mostly cause I like the look of the tail lights, and it's easier to fabricate for a flatter panel. But the the corners are close to the same, and you should be able to make something like this to fit a 69, with the curved tail light panel.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.

MG_0515.jpg

FYI, disregarding Shelby's for the moment, here's the varieties of quarter extensions for 69-70:

69 coupe and vert

69 sports roof, Mach 1, Boss 302, Boss 429

70 coupe

70 vert

70 sports roof, Mach 1, Boss 302, Boss 429

Many many many people don't realize that 70 vert uses a special extension. Look at the extra body line in the photo in this thread. That's a 70 convertible quarter as noted by the marker light and adjacent body line. That line extends into the quarter extension. These are often misrepresented on eBay.