Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Upper Control Arm Question

I'm in the process of replacing the Suspension and Steering. I went to order the parts from Mustang Plus. They have a Grab-A-Trak kit and I see that they sell the kit w/ the complete UCA and another kit with just the UCA bushings.

I'm thinking that the kit with the complete UCA might have inferior metal compared to the OEM quality. Such as the comparison to an oem door to an aftermarket door

This is just my opinion, I have no actual knowledge if it is or not.

Should I get the complete kit that has the whole UCA complete

OR should I get the kit that allows you to rebuild the UCA.

If I was going the stock style route, I'd go the OpenTracker way and rollerize it. Check out his website, you can diy or buy the completed unit. I have no idea on steel gauge thickness of OEM vs a/m.

Bob

I agree, Open Tracker has good quality stuff, which is reflected in the cost of just the UCA & LCA at $584.

As with MustangsPlus, the Grab-a-Trak kits for Steering $165.95 & Suspension & Spring Perches $329.95, total $495.89 and if I rebuild the UCA it will be approx. $130 cheaper than that.

Right now the motor is being rebuilt, I'm contemplating of buying a rebuilt AOD, I just bought a steering box and now rebuilding the front end, so every little nickle I can save I will.

I'm not here to discuss prices, but would like to know other members personal opinions on the quality of aftermarket UCA's vs. rebuilding OEM UCA's. If they say the aftermarket UCA's are cheap and bend easily, then I would rebuild them, if not then I would buy the package deal.

Also MustangsPlus has a lifetime warranty and are having a 6% sale with free shipping.

If you are considering rebuilding your originals you might as well go with the open tracker roller rebuild kit. I would not rebuild the control arms with standard shafts as the threads on the arm are usually jacked and beyond repair. It is $299 for the uppers if you don't get their ball joint. The lowers range from $100-$199 depending on what option you choose. Unless you have done more than the standard 1" uca drop I can't see any reason to go with their expensive rebuild kits, the $299 upper and $125 lower kits should be fine. For the spring perches order the daze cars.com roller kit. If you get the unfitted kit it is only 26.99 shipped. It will take you A WHILE to make the bearings fit correctly though. If you don't want to take the extra time definitely go with the fitted kit for $47.99. As for the steering I would get the open tracker roller idler as you can't beat the price at $80-$95 depending on which one you need. The rest of the stuff you can get cheap at your local parts store with a lifetime warrantee and never have to invest money in them again.

I have Grab-A-Trak stuff all over my car. No problems. I also built my own roller perches. I'm currently running on rebuilt uppers, new lowers, no UCA drop and home built roller perches. They have good stuff and you can get a decent driving car with it.

John has nice stuff too....no joke but so does TCP, global west and a slew of other suspension companies. it really depends on the intended use and investment you want to make.

There are different degrees of suspension. you have stock, stock with poly bushings, stock modified like opentracker, custom with coil overs like TCP, complete front ends like a mustang two and then toy have full rolling frames. So there are varying degrees. it all really boils down to the type of money and time you want to invest into the whole thing.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I decided as most, from what I've read here and on other forums that best to stick with MOOG parts if available. I found the cheapest MOOG vendor to be Summit Racing, where I bought most of my steering pieces from. Next, I would do a web search on a particular part such as the LCA and found MOOG products on eBay, naturally I opted for the lowest price.

The only MOOG parts I couldn't find was the UCA and Coil Spring Perch, I bought the Standard UCA and Roller perches from OpenTracker.

All in all I think I bought quality parts close to, but not exact, as the same price for Grab-A-Trak products.