Sign in to follow this  
Guillaume69

Rear stance issue

Now I have this thing with the rear of the car being too high, since I put the rear end back in.

Nothing has been replaced, except for the shackles, which are the same size as the originals. Shocks are the same. Leaf springs were sand blasted, power coated and refurbished with new rubber kit. And no body work was necessary on the rear frame.

Look at before/after pics. The difference looks gigantic, doesn't it? WTH?

image_zps6a3ca21a.jpg

image_zps4e6974fc.jpg

I sure am, Buckeye, as well as 20 gallons of gas. But the gap seems huge to me. I see engine/trans lowering the front significantly, but the rear? Will that be that a significant player?

I'll drive it around for sure. See if it settles.

Edited by Guillaume69

I see at least 4 inches height gain there. Something not right at all. Are you sure you got your original springs? Did you do the work on them yourself or send them out?

Your springs are designed to manage the extra weight of a tank of gas and two passengers. No way will you see a 4 inch drop with that load. I also don't expect a 4 inch drop with settling over time. Something very odd going on there.

The only thing I can think of is if your rubber insulators were tightened up with the axle hanging down and are torqued up tight in that position. Have you tried loosening the bolts and bouncing it?

20 gallons of gas is approximately 160 lbs of weight, so that will make a difference. But I'm with the others... drop the engine in and take it for a drive. I'm betting it will settle a bit. However, in your first pic, the rear appears lower than the car would've been originally, so if the rear springs were re-arched, then you can expect the rear ride height to be higher anyway.

My guess is that you had the body supported when you tightened the shackles with the rear sagging down on the springs.

Loosen the shackle bolts, support the rear with jack stands under the axle, simulate the weight of a full tank in the trunk and then tighten the shackle bolts.

I think this is it. I put the rear end back on with the car on a lift, wheels hanging. So I am going to try loosening the shakles while supporting the rear end and see if it settles a little. It should as I did all the work myself (except for the powder coating) and everything is stock.

Thanks for the advice guys, as always. Will keep you posted on the outcome!

G

My guess is that you had the body supported when you tightened the shackles with the rear sagging down on the springs.

Loosen the shackle bolts, support the rear with jack stands under the axle, simulate the weight of a full tank in the trunk and then tighten the shackle bolts.

+1 Agree with Larry. By the way Woo Hoo this is my 1000th post.