Sign in to follow this  
indianfiremach

Thoughts on Power Windows in a 1970 Mach 1?

Hi all, I'm doing a full resto on my '70 Mach 1, and came across the Electric-Life power window kit with a chrome double console switch. My car is a former Ford Exec car with AC, PS, PDB, Tach, Tilt, AM/FM stereo, Fold Down, Intermittent Wipers, Shaker, Deluxe Seatbelts, and a few other options. Seems like Power windows would round out the options list. I also have a 1969 console and could mount the switch where the cigarette lighter is, can order door panels without the crank holes.

Anyone have experience with the kit? Think I'm better off leaving well enough alone? My 1970 Corvette has power windows and I really like them.

My 69 was loaded with the same options as yours (except intermittent wipers), I added power windows from a 69 XR7 Cougar and 1970 bolt in glass. They have been working fine for 25 years now. I used the 69 Cougar inside door skin as a template for the power window regulators and motor, also from the Cougar. Great addition! Not sure what the Electric-Life system is like, should be fine I expect. Good Luck

Remember the cougars has the power windows as an option.

If your car was an execs car I would track down some factory period switches from a lincolin and use those. The switches were originally installed where the window crank would have gone

Bob

I think it's just something else to break, adds unnecessary weight and hand crank windows baffle most of the y generation, which is reason enough for me.

Your post is especially appropriate since I'm a Gen-y'er myself! Though I would think among my generation I like things more original than most. I even have the styled wheel covers on the Mach and P02 wire wheels on the '70 Corvette.

Edited by indianfiremach

Thanks for all the good replies. I liked the idea of ordering smooth door panels w/o the window crank holes, and put the vintage looking switch in my '69 console which has the cigarette lighter in it. Still on the fence with this one, I certainly have my hands full with wiring up all of the other assemblies (AC, stereo, convenience group, Mach 1 lights, tach etc).