Sign in to follow this  
BinaryBo

Hood Scoop Harness Mounting Location

Hi All,

I am trying to get my hood scoop wiring harness mounted. However this repro hood doesn't seem to have all the holes. Could someone please post a picture of their original hood showing the mounting location area I have highlighted in yellow?

I included a picture of my hood so you can see what's missing.

Thanks,

Bo

So does mine ... I went out & checked last weekend, but forgot to go back out to the garage with a camera later & snap a pic !!

I'm missing that highlighted loop clamp and screw though and only have one of the clips between the lamps.

The drawing makes it look like the loop clamp is integral to the harness (no separate p/n), but neither the new alloy metal harness or the original have it.

The all original Perkins Mach 1 pics under hood shot (see below) just barely shows the back edge of the hood. There appears to be an hood blanket though, so the clip probably is under it anyway.

Anyone still have all the hardware on their factory hood scoop car that can snap a pic ??

Doug

Just re-worked mine so it matches the Perkins car.

The drawing in the Jim Osborn Electrical Assembly manual was slightly different than the one Bo posted and showed a wiring harness clip that snaps into the hole next to where the wiper motor harness is attached.

Looking closely at the Perkins car, you can see the friction tape that was added at the end of the hood scoop harness covering and it is holding the ground wires, so I can only assume that it is holding the harness clip on the back side as well. Found one of the off-white harness clips and had some friction tape so I did my best duplicating the Perkins car. Also found a black rubber coated zinc clamp for the wiring on the hood, and 2 8-18 x 1/2" hex washer sheet metal screws (similar to 52012-S / 55907-S36).

See pics

Thanks Jim for that tip ... figured it was plastic (explains why mine was likely gone).

I've already looked in many places within all my parts bins & boxes for plastic loop clamps, but have not had any luck ... yet. Couple more places to check, so hopefully I'll find something more correct.

If I strike out, does anyone know if this black plastic loop clamp is being repro'd ??

Also looking for the little rubber strap that attaches to the stud above the brake booster that holds the end of the hood T/S harness plug. Mine was still hanging there but broken when I replaced my front harnesses and had no idea what it supported until I looked closely at the Perkins car. Also looks like the washer hose passes thru this rubber strap on the Perkins car, but seems like it goes out of it's way to do so. My washer hose goes straight down into the first clip holding the headlight harness at the firewall and this looks more natural.

Doug

Bo

The item I described as a plastic clip is really not (though it is plastic). Here is a picture. Also, on that plastic clip above the booster, those are reproduced and can be purchased from AMK. And yes, the washer hose makes an unnatural loop through it, but I believe that is correct.

Hey Jim ... THANKS for that pic of the N.O.S. harness !!

I found a simple black plastic loop clamp over the weekend in my pile of misc wiring harness ... it was from a console harness. I'll have to look again to see if I can find anything like the one in that picture !!

As far as the off-white retainer at the firewall, that is exactly what I found and used on mine (that type is quite common).

Doug

Just thought I'd post a follow up ...

Looked though all my bins & boxes and had no luck finding a black plastic wire retainer like the one in the picture of the NOS Hood Harness Jim posted (for holding harness to underside of hood).

Looked on AMK's site to see if they have anything like this and no luck there either.

I guess the rubber coated metal loop clamp I used is just going to have to do ... it has a kinda-OE look to it.

Did find the plastic strap on AMK's site that holds the plug end and washer hose up at the cowl though ... $3 for 2 pc. Checked CJP, MU & NPD and they only sell them as part of a "kit" that includes a bunch of other wiring retainers. Will see if I can find some black plastic sheeting and make my own using my old one as a template.

Doug

Found a black vinyl sales binder at work and it is very close to the thickness of the original strap (0.032" vs. 0.029") ... cut a strip off of it and brought it home.

Cut into a 7/16" wide strip to match the original strap and then layed the old strap on top and traced it out.

Used a rotary punch tool to cut holes at either end of the slots and an Exacto knife to connect them.

Certainly not "perfect" as a die stamped part and the binder vinyl is slightly "textured" where the original was smooth and assuming nylon rather than vinyl but hey it worked !!

Doug

The problem with original straps is they are likely brittle from 45 years of underhood heat ... mine was, and is why it was broken.

Doug

Comparing the close-up pic of the Perkin's car firewall pic in post #6 and mine I just took in post #17 my firewall pin that holds the strap is about 3" closer to the engine. On the Perkins car it looks to be right below the bump-out on the cowl that the washer hose snakes around offset from the MC towards the side of car where mine is offset from the MC towards the center.

Interesting to say the least ... and I doubt that my washer hose really ever went through that strap being 3" further away !!

Doug