Sign in to follow this  
Alan_Mac

center console repair

The bottom piece of one of my mounting holes is cracked off my center console. I was thinking of putting a piece of fiberglass on the back, filling in with epoxy, drilling the hole out, a bit of surface prep and then painting it with trim black. Does anyone have a better suggestion? Alan

Don't think fiberglass works all that well. What I have done in the past especially where thickness is an issue is to cut open a soda can and use the aluminum from that to make a backing patch. Make it as big as you can get away with and epoxy it on. Fill the missing part with epoxy and use an exacto knife to scratch a grain pattern into the epoxy.

Be sure to rough up the aluminum material with sandpaper to give the best grip from the epoxy

Bob

Not knowing how much is broken, a quick fix I have used is to get a small washer, epoxy to the back and then use some plastic fill used for dash cracks on the front. It depends on how much is broken off though. Also, the rear holes are raised and that would not work there.

If the entire hole are is gone, the aluminum can trick sounds good. I would also reinforce with the washer though.

OK, I re-enforced two console mounting holes with fiberglass mat and sanded the edges flat. I filled it in the holes and missing piece area with Loctite Plastic Bonder. The bonder shrinks so I need another coat, than drill and paint trim black. It looks good and will hold. Does anyone have any method not get the carpet jute backing wrapped up on the drill or screw thread?

Does anyone have any method not get the carpet jute backing wrapped up on the drill or screw thread?

I've read to use a soldering iron to melt / solidify the carpet around the holes.

I read this AFTER installing new door panels and messing up the new carpet in a spot or 2 ... so I personally have never tried it.

I'm sure someone on here will chime in who has tried this method !!

Doug