Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Mach 1 stripe color

I think I have read somewhere it was red on raven black cars with black interior. Tried to find where (might be on my marti but don't have it here to look at). I have a 69 raven black also. Do you have the hood blackout also? I'll look around the net and see if I can confirm this.

Well.....currently painted Gulf Stream Aqua. Marty Report gave me correct answer on the Raven Black. So off with the old and in with the Raven Black! Will be back to original by this summer...with FLAT black hood done right. Would appreciate any info on the stripe too.

Thanks!

Did your marti list the blackout on the hood? Not all hoods were blacked out. Especially with darker car colors like raven black. Don't want you to paint it the wrong color. I have a S code project but wont be working on it for a few years. Too many cars I have a desire to finish before it. But I know it gonna look bad as hell when done.

Does anyone know what determines the 1969 Mach 1 stripe color on a car? My car is original black interior.....seats with red stripe and Raven black exterior.

According to the "1969 Illustrated Facts Book", A Raven Black Mach 1 with Black interior would receive a Red tape stripe.

Bo

Here is something I found stripe colors for mach1 and grandes but no confirmation from other sources http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2012/11/1969-mustang-stripepaint-schemes.html

It looks like this chart was derived from the "1969 Illustrated Facts Book". They should have excluded the Blue, Ivy Gold and Nugget Gold Interior Trim columns for Mach 1, since those were not options. It also has the same odd code of "6" for Candy Apple Red with Red interior. I believe it is supposed to be "8" for the Mach 1.

Bo

There are several posts in regards to this very subject on http://www.428cobrajet.org/. Oddly enough some of the old posts are not available. In those old posts there was a Ford document that had a chart for stripes base don interior & exterior colors. I found the chart below & it appears to be the same data as the Ford document. However, I would suggest this was a guide more than a rule.:

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2012/11/1969-mustang-stripepaint-schemes.html

I hear you about the car being black. I really think gulfstream aqua(what it is now) or Acapulco blue offsets the black accents nicely. Unfortunately, I am on track to restore to original once and for all....mostly being pushed by the results of my Marti report.

I hear you about the car being black. I really think gulfstream aqua(what it is now) or Acapulco blue offsets the black accents nicely. Unfortunately, I am on track to restore to original once and for all....mostly being pushed by the results of my Marti report.

If your paint is good, I would leave it as is. The black is nice also. Makes the car kinda look like a boss 429. Acapulco blue is my favorite color of 69. The GT vert is this color and it looks nice even though it needs new paint.

Now... does anyone know if all 3M reflective stripe kits are the same? Or are some better than others?

3M makes at least 2 different versions of their reflective vinyl. One is for plotter style cutters, the other is thicker for use by a die cutter. AFAIK, Marti Auto Works is the only one using the thicker tape and die cut, like the original.

At least one of the reproduction companies is silk screening on the gold inlay. Make sure you get one where the inlay is also vinyl, like the original.

Bo

Marti stripe kits have been on backorder for a while

True...but they are coming back soon. I would wait for them if you can. Check with National Parts Depot, part number 20000-7AC for red:

http://www.npdlink.com/store/?p=catalog&mode=newsearch&search_str=20000-7AC&parent=1&year=0

They should be available in the next few weeks.

Bo