Sign in to follow this  
Arvidsson

Strut Rod Bolts?!

Take a look at he function of the strut rod. Rubber bushings/grommets at the forward end. A moving, up and down, lower control arm on the other end. The bolts in question don't function as a normal bolt but rather as a fixed pivot point. My answer is yes you should be using those bolts. Brian

You're talking steering here, those are two of the more important fasteners in regards to keeping your "A" frame facing the right direction. If you're going to use any other bolt than the designed item let us know when you're driving, we'll stay off the road, you're going to get a big surprise as some point.

I get the idea! Reason for asking is that I saw an installation video were it looked like they used standard bolts. But after reading the replies I'll just used the bolts the Ford engineers put there.. Hehe..

I was looking on eBay and saw some bolts for the 65 and 66 that were

regular bolts and nuts (fine thread) but all I saw for 67-70 were the ones that had the knurls. Do you have your old bolts out and if so are they left hand threads? The reason I am wondering is because I tried to get mine loose and could not budge them but I was trying to loosing in the counter clock wise direction. I just figured that they were so rusted is why I could not get them loose. But as I stated earlier the pictures of them appear to be left hand threads . Just wondering so I would know which way to turn.

I was looking on eBay and saw some bolts for the 65 and 66 that were

regular bolts and nuts (fine thread) but all I saw for 67-70 were the ones that had the knurls. Do you have your old bolts out and if so are they left hand threads? The reason I am wondering is because I tried to get mine loose and could not budge them but I was trying to loosing in the counter clock wise direction. I just figured that they were so rusted is why I could not get them loose. But as I stated earlier the pictures of them appear to be left hand threads . Just wondering so I would know which way to turn.

Hey!

Oh, that's true. The vid I saw was installation on an 65, that explains it. Thanks.

Yeah, I got them out. They were a PIA to get out, had to heat them with a blow torch and use a power tool to get them off. Mine had right hand threads.

Hey!

Oh, that's true. The vid I saw was installation on an 65, that explains it. Thanks.

Yeah, I got them out. They were a PIA to get out, had to heat them with a blow torch and use a power tool to get them off. Mine had right hand threads.

Thanks, Now that I know they are right hand threads I guess I need to get more aggressive too.