Sign in to follow this  
jwscarab

Easiest Seat Extender possible! (fixed position)

Ok, after thinking about this a bit, heres my plan. I'm almost 6'6". I bought Feiro Seats and they sit low and recline. :thumbup1:

Fiero seats use 13 3/8 wide by 14 long hole pattern.

Mustang floor pan holes are 14 wide by 11 long.

So - I sat my Fiero seats in the car and positioned them where I have TONS of leg room and head room. The front hole on the Fiero "seat base" is 5" aft of the front hole on the floor pan. NOT the tracks - there will be NO tracks on the install.

Solution:

I bought rectaugular steel tubing. 1 1/2 wide by 1/2" tall by 21" long. The tubing is 0.065" thick which I believe is plenty strong for "tubing". Maybe not for flat or brackets. It will run fore/aft, 2 per seat.

Drill holes all the way thru both sides just big enough for the bolt threads to go thru. Drill clearance holes on one side only for the heads of the bolts to go into the tubing and be hidden in the tubing.

First put the bolts down thru the tubing that go into the floor and fix them to the tubing (spot weld, JB weld, silicone) just to keep them from turning while putting on nut. Second, put the other bolts up thru the tubing and tighten into the seats with socket. Drop seat/tubing assy into car and install nuts from under car. Done! Pic shows head of bolts 5/16's offset per tube to allow for 5/8 total offset per seat.

Add more holes fore/aft for different positions if desired. I plan on having them fixed so I will be nice and stretched out. When nobody else can reach pedals - I guess they dont drive! I have no need for rear passengers ("sorry, seats dont slide up"). And if I ever need to "work" in the rear interior of the car, I guess I undo 4 nuts and lift out passenger seat.

Extenders for both seats = $24 total !!

Edited by jwscarab

Excellent solution. I'm 5'5" so I usually have kind of an opposite problem. Mine is all custom and pretty much set up for my size as I'll probably be the only one to drive it till it becomes part of my "estate", :biggrin:

Excellent solution. I'm 5'5" so I usually have kind of an opposite problem. Mine is all custom and pretty much set up for my size as I'll probably be the only one to drive it till it becomes part of my "estate", :biggrin:

RacerX, I'm 5'7" so I was thinking about doing something with the seat position also. What did you do and how did you do it?

Mike, Its kinda complicated to explain. I'm not using oem seats, mounts, or floors. When I started building the car I wanted to give it an aircraft feel since aviation is my other interest besides cars. Towards that end. I'm doing some things interior-wise that will give it that aircraft feel. One is, after studying ejection seats, I've designed my own racing style seat like an aircraft seat. By profession I design aerospace ground support equipment. While I had a design which you can see in my signature pic and photobucket, I've been recently changing it making it easier to fabricate. I have the seat mounts started but have been focusing on the back half of the car and rear suspension. So the seats and mounting are not yet completed.

I think if headroom was not an issue, I would bolt the tracks to the tubing, or do something else - just to have the added benefit if the room in the rear with the pull of a lever. But with my head room, I want to eliminate the track to gain the head room so I'm OK with no sliders - although not optimum setup.

I do need to check out Mustangs To Fear headliner too sometime. Great solution to headroom! I need to check it out in person to get a feel of the style of it.

I've used 1"x1" thick wall tube for an adaptor between the original seat tracks and the 03 Falcon ute seats I'm using.By luck once you remove the electric tilt mechanism the bolt pattern is only 1/8 inch different in width to the bolt pattern in the floor. Bolt the tube to the seat then bolt the track to the tube. They sit around 2 inches back from original. Since the photo I fitted new seat platforms from a fastback that are about 1.5" lower and moved back 1 inch from original position. I'm 5"11 and found it an effort to get behind the wheel lol.

Edited by shaun071
attachments didn't work

Joe, you could just extend your column to the rear seat and do away with your buckets seats LOL. I think what you came up with should work.

Lol! That's probably what I need to do!!! I remember a movie where somebody did that once (cant remember who) just ripped the front seat out and used the back!

Here's some pics of the adaptors I made

Yea, that is what I would have rather done, but then I would have the 1/2" tubing and the 1" mustang track. So I need to go fixed. If I get tired of it being fixed, its $24 lost...lol. You normal height people are lucky!!

Edited by jwscarab