Sign in to follow this  
Arvidsson

Cracked UCA

it is fixable, drill, weld on both sides, grid & file the outside to make it pretty. I would leave the weld on the inside unground for extra strength. If you are in need of a ball joint & shafts as well I would go ahead & replace with a quality replacement.

it is fixable, drill, weld on both sides, grid & file the outside to make it pretty. I would leave the weld on the inside unground for extra strength. If you are in need of a ball joint & shafts as well I would go ahead & replace with a quality replacement.

Thanks Mike!

I´ll see if someone can help me with that. Don´t have or know how to weld. :)

/Mattias

Where are you located? If you enter your location in your profile, folks can see where you live and maybe chime in to help. If you're near me, I'll help out.

Bob

I would replace the control arm. Welding is possible but the problem is that over 40 years of flexing has caused it to crack. The weld will be stronger than the surrounding metal. What usually happens on a high stress part is the metal cracks next to the weld. The safest thing is to replace the cracked part and look for other suspension parts that may be in the same condition.

I would not be afraid to weld it and run it as long as it is done properly. My version of correct would be to drill the end of the crack, bevel the crack, & weld from both sides.

As cheap as they are, why fix it? It cracked for a reason (40+ year old suspension part). If the UCA fails, you're going to do a lot of damage to your car and potentially lose control of your car. Put a new UCA in and be done with it.

RPM - I´m located in Sweden, might be a bit to far for any of you guys to help me :-)

Thanks a lot for your comments, suggestions offers to help. Thats what makes this forum what it is, great!

I´ll probably just change both upper and lower arms while I have everything a part. Then I know its all good and don´t need to worry that it might crack again due to age.

/M

well, took the control arm out today, its cracked on both sides of the ball joint, and the right control arm is showing signs of cracking so I´ll just buy new ones.. held on good though for the last 40+ years.. :)

Good call. Now you won't have to worry what is going to fail next. Too bad you didn't wait until July to change them. I could have helped you with changing them. I'm going over to Sweden for 20 days then. I'll be in Gothenburg. :)

Good call. Now you won't have to worry what is going to fail next. Too bad you didn't wait until July to change them. I could have helped you with changing them. I'm going over to Sweden for 20 days then. I'll be in Gothenburg. :)

Yeah, I think its a good call. All fresh and nice parts.

Gothenburg, vacation or business? nice, thats actually where I live! Maybe you should stop by for a coffee and have a look at the car!

/Mattias

RPM - I´m located in Sweden, might be a bit to far for any of you guys to help me :-)

/M

Yikes! Sweden? Just a bit too far for me. I'm still amazed by all the cool cars you guys get to Europe and Australia. I'll complain about a $100 tow bill. Can't imagine what it takes to get parts and cars delivered. Good luck with your car.

Bob

Yikes! Sweden? Just a bit too far for me. I'm still amazed by all the cool cars you guys get to Europe and Australia. I'll complain about a $100 tow bill. Can't imagine what it takes to get parts and cars delivered. Good luck with your car.

Bob

Hehe, yeah, a bit to far. The freight of the car was "only" about $1300 across the atlantic ocean. Most of the time the shipping of parts cost more the actual parts. :blink:

Hehe, yeah, a bit to far. The freight of the car was "only" about $1300 across the atlantic ocean. Most of the time the shipping of parts cost more the actual parts. :blink:

Well, I don't know how many Mericans would go to the lengths you guys do to save these cars. Y'all got my respect. And kudos on picking the best looking car EVER!

Bob

Yeah, I think its a good call. All fresh and nice parts.

Gothenburg, vacation or business? nice, thats actually where I live! Maybe you should stop by for a coffee and have a look at the car!

/Mattias

Vacation. My girlfriend has family there. I may just take you up on coffee. :)

Well, I don't know how many Mericans would go to the lengths you guys do to save these cars. Y'all got my respect. And kudos on picking the best looking car EVER!

Bob

Thanks! And yes, it is the best looking car ever, there´s always people stopping

with a big smile giving the thumbs up! :)

Vacation. My girlfriend has family there. I may just take you up on coffee. :)

Cool, a coffee and some car talk sounds great. And you can give me some tips on what to do next on my car :-)