Sign in to follow this  
Alan_Mac

70 Mach 1 interior - what seat upholstery?

I am going re-do my seat upholstery since the 45 yr old foam is shot. I have new white TMI door panels ready to go on. My Wimbledon White Mach has white seats with a black stripe. The carpet is black with black inserts. The theme of my restomod build has been to keep it looking original. I am interested in TMI Sport seats, Sport II seats and Sport R seats. The question is how far to depart from original? If I go with Sport or Sport II, I can stay with white and a black stripe. If I go with sport R they will be black. I don't think black will look out of place. Also the black will not show dirt, which is a problem with white.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-upholstery-sport-r-series-seat-mach-1-1969-1970/p/U87-V/

http://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-upholstery-sport-ii-series-seat-mach-1-1969-1970/p/U95-V/

http://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-upholstery-sport-seat-mach-1-style-1969-1970/p/U6S-V/

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p25/Alan_MacDougall/Mach1/DSCN3305.jpg

Opinions are welcome. Happy Holidays Alan

My son said that black with white stitching would look better. I tend to agree since I have no gray anywhere, but the accent strip adds a cool look. You can special order different colors from TMI for addition $. I don't like the TMI logo embossed on the side. SM69, very unique seats you have, the adjust ability is great.

Edited by Alan_Mac

I called TMI, they can make Black Sport R seats a white accent stripe and white stitching for an up charge. I could also eliminate the TMI stitching on the side. I think the white accent strip would really pop and look good in my Mach1. CJPP wont take any special orders. TMI Charges 100$ for the color change to the stripes and $300 to delete the logo. Mustang interiors just passes the upcharge to the customer and their pricing is decent. Alan

Edited by Alan_Mac

IMO just to honest, there butt ugly. I think they have a lot of nerve to charge 300.00 to remove there LOGO. I like the look of the original high back much better.

Thanks for the feedback. I also think it is totally wrong to charge $300 to remove the logo. If the logo was down near the side bottom I could live with it. I will not put a set on my car with the logo where it is. I may not buy the seats because of the Logo and the high up charge, just because of principle. I chose the Sport R or I stay with the original. I think the sport R looks like a modern seat with a Mach1 theme. Even my 2013 escape has higher seat bolsters than my 70. What seats do you like? Happy Holiday's

Edited by Alan_Mac

I had a 95 GT and loved the seats. I didn't know the TMI seats raised the height. I am 5"7" so its not a serious problem for me. But you will have a different perspective driving in a higher position. Good to know.

I had a 95 GT and loved the seats. I didn't know the TMI seats raised the height. I am 5"7" so its not a serious problem for me. But you will have a different perspective driving in a higher position. Good to know.

Most people aren't aware of it either. Keep in mind it also makes your legs tighter to the steering wheel.

Called TMI again, regarding all sport seats, they do not raise the driver. The up charge for removing the TMI logo is 200$ I am swaying toward Black Sport R front and back seats, black stitching and white accent strips in the 1970 vinyl color. Alan

Mustangtofear, Maybe the increased bolter height on the seat bottom was getting in your customers way during entry. Have you used the 69/70 rear seat foam? Whats the good / bad with the rear foam? Have you used mass backed carpet? Any benefit for mass backed when you have dynamat? You input is appreciated. Alan

I just ordered the full set of black Sport R seats with white accent stripes and with the TMI Logo's deleted. "Mustang Interiors", can manage custom orders like mine and they gave me a very good price. It should be on my doorstep in 6 weeks. Alan