Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

70 Mustang rear spoiler: How to tell OEM?

Some of the Mopar guys have commented over the years on the rear spoiler on my Cuda telling me it looks like a Ford spoiler. The pedestal-to-pedestal spacing is the same as the CJP repop I bought as is the spacing between the studs. Unlike the repop however, it has a fairly smooth surface.

If its the real deal I may put it on my car and put the repop on my Cuda. Does anyone know where Ford put part numbers on the rear spoilers for our cars?

Some of the Mopar guys have commented over the years on the rear spoiler on my Cuda telling me it looks like a Ford spoiler. The pedestal-to-pedestal spacing is the same as the CJP repop I bought as is the spacing between the studs. Unlike the repop however, it has a fairly smooth surface.

If its the real deal I may put it on my car and put the repop on my Cuda. Does anyone know where Ford put part numbers on the rear spoilers for our cars?

The only numbers/ID are on the bottom of the pedestals DOZB and on the gasket/pads DOWB. No marking or ID on the wing itself. Brian

I've had both originals and reproduction rear spoilers. The original was very heavy and has the part #'s on the pedestals as stated. I sold my original on eBay for $500, and put on a reproduction from NPD that was ~$125. Looked the same and I didn't have to use the prop rod to keep my trunk open.

Edited by indianfiremach

I've had both originals and reproduction rear spoilers. The original was very heavy and has the part #'s on the pedestals as stated. I sold my original on eBay for $500, and put on a reproduction from NPD that was ~$125. Looked the same and I didn't have to use the prop rod to keep my trunk open.

Your a wise man :punk:

Note that there is a difference in the '69 (plastic) spoiler, and the '70 (fiberglass) spoiler. The '70 is a wee bit thinner. The Mopar "Go Wing" is perhaps more like the '69 spoiler.

This thread confirms that the OEM "Go Wing" also was heavy, and that it was made of ABS based thermoplastic.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=26924

The Mopar "Gull Wing" doesn't look like any of the Mustang spoilers.

Note that there is a difference in the '69 (plastic) spoiler, and the '70 (fiberglass) spoiler. The '70 is a wee bit thinner. The Mopar "Go Wing" is perhaps more like the '69 spoiler.

This thread confirms that the OEM "Go Wing" also was heavy, and that it was made of ABS based thermoplastic.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=26924

The Mopar "Gull Wing" doesn't look like any of the Mustang spoilers.

The 70 fiberglass model has , on the pedestals, the FoMoCo/oval and ' TEACO ' as well as the DOZB. I haven't had mine off in a while but did not think it was ' Heavy ' more like solid. I don't think much more than 12 pounds ? Fiberglass construction is evident when the pedestal machine screws are out. Brian

Here is the spoiler on the Cuda. Does this look like the 69 to any of you? IIRC, the repop I bought came from CJP and at the time was believed to be the same that NPD sells. The repo seems to have more girth to it than the one on the Cuda and has a rough texture presumably to replicate the rough texture paint that the factory applied on the 70 Mach 1.

EDIT: Meant to say, I cant pull the pedestals to check for part number as they put nuts on the underside. To get to them I 'd have to drill these two formed covers off the trunk lid pan and I didn't want to mess up the paint. Chances are its a repop but it is heavy.

Edited by miketyler