Sign in to follow this  
RogerC

Leaf spring perches

I'm in the process of building a 3-link set up for the rear of my 69. I have designed new lower brackets that would be welded where the spring perches are on the 9 inch housing. However, I recently decided to go back to my initial plan of a bolt on bracket beneath the spring perches since I haven't cut any metal yet. My problem is I can't find or confirm the perch width and distance from axle centerline to bottom of spring perch. I want to use the same hole spacing as my weld on brackets. Could someone with their car inside take a couple of measurements for me? My car is outside under a tarp and covered by snow at the moment. Perch width should get me to the u-bolt spacing and axle centerline to bottom of perch will allow me to locate my lower link holes. Thanks guys.

I'm in the process of building a 3-link set up for the rear of my 69. I have designed new lower brackets that would be welded where the spring perches are on the 9 inch housing. However, I recently decided to go back to my initial plan of a bolt on bracket beneath the spring perches since I haven't cut any metal yet. My problem is I can't find or confirm the perch width and distance from axle centerline to bottom of spring perch. I want to use the same hole spacing as my weld on brackets. Could someone with their car inside take a couple of measurements for me? My car is outside under a tarp and covered by snow at the moment. Perch width should get me to the u-bolt spacing and axle centerline to bottom of perch will allow me to locate my lower link holes. Thanks guys.

I have an eight inch out of a 69 would it be the same as nine inch?

As far as I know, 8" is 2.75 diameter axle tubes and 9" is 3.00 diameter axle tubes regardless of small or large bearing ends with the exception of early mustangs with a 9". Those have a reduced diameter tube near the ends to use the smaller u-bolts & spring plates. Also galaxies, wagons & trucks had 9" with bigger axle tubes. My 9" is out of a 351C equipped 70 cougar XR7. It is a small bearing housing

As far as I know, 8" is 2.75 diameter axle tubes and 9" is 3.00 diameter axle tubes regardless of small or large bearing ends with the exception of early mustangs with a 9". Those have a reduced diameter tube near the ends to use the smaller u-bolts & spring plates. Also galaxies, wagons & trucks had 9" with bigger axle tubes. My 9" is out of a 351C equipped 70 cougar XR7. It is a small bearing housing

So your saying the 8" I have would be the same for the measurement you need. This rear end is out of the car and I can easily get the measurements for you.

Dave

Well the spring perch width should be the same, I think 2.5" and unless someone can show me information to the contrary, my rear is 9" with 3" axle tubes. Your 8" should be 2.75" axle tubes so the center distance would be different. Thanks for trying though. I bought u-bolts back in july but I can't find where it gives the size. I vaguely remember measuring them before installing the axle so I could move the car and I'm 95% sure they're 3".

Edited by RacerX
additional thoughts

Well the spring perch width should be the same, I think 2.5" and unless someone can show me information to the contrary, my rear is 9" with 3" axle tubes. Your 8" should be 2.75" axle tubes so the center distance would be different. Thanks for trying though. I bought u-bolts back in july but I can't find where it gives the size. I vaguely remember measuring them before installing the axle so I could move the car and I'm 95% sure they're 3".

Wouldn't the axle center line to spring perch be the same as the 8" plus 1/2 the tube diameter difference. I measured the tubes a while back, was just curious and they measured 2.87" I thought that was kind of odd.

Dave

PS If you want that measurement let me know and I will get it for you tomorrow.

Sure, that works for me. I appreciate it if you would. Thanks

First off I stated earlier that the 8" tube dia. was 2.875 after measuring with a set of micrometers it is actually 2.820, the actual width of the spring perch is 2.555, the axle center to the flat where the spring sets is 1.885 and the distance from the flat where the spring sets to the top of tube is .475 hope this helps you if you need any other measurement let me know.

Dave

PS so you would need to get actual tube dia. of your 9" and subtract

2.820 and divide that number by 2 and add to 1.885 should give you the axle center to perch flat. ( think I did that right.) I know you said you can't get to yours right now but maybe somebody can give you actual 9 " tube dia.

Edited by det0326