Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Alignment specs for 70 Mustang with Shelby drop?

As much as I'd like to do this myself I just don't have time. I am taking the car to a reputable alignment shop that has an in-ground alignment machine. My car is lowered and has the Shelby drop. They probably have the specs for a 70 but unsure if they will know how much to allow for Shelby/Arning drop. Does anyone have this info? Should it be the same as a 70 Shelby or ?

Do you have power steering or manual steering?

2 degrees positive castor is about the limit for manual steering cars for street use. 3 degrees is good for power steering cars. The more you put in, the straighter and more solid the car drives at speed.

The two alignment shops I have been to have not been able to guarantee the 1/16th negative camber I wanted. They say it will be negative, but somewhere between 1/32 and 1/8th.

1/8th toe in is good too.

zstang's specs will work very well, especially on a lowered car. This all is dependent on decent condition for your ball joints, idler and pitman arms, rubber bushings and all the other parts.

I have done these specs on a 70 that had horrible handling. I replaced all the stock parts with new stock parts. No lowering, no go-fast parts. But the specs on alignment made a dramatic difference. It is now my favorite car to drive. Tight, reliable and a lot of fun in the hills or the open road.

Thanks for the responses. The car is a power steering car and is dropped nearly 4" all the way around. Everything under the front end is new so hopefully this goes well. Its been more of a challenge finding a shop that knows how to do alignments on older cars and has in-ground alignment machine for slammed cars. The car will be adult driven and I'd like it as easy on front tires as possible.

The two alignment shops I have been to have not been able to guarantee the 1/16th negative camber I wanted.

I would recommend finding a real alignment shop. Sounds like a "if it's in spec I'm doing as little as possible to get your money kind of place"

You may have to hunt around, some shops will not want to use your specs because it is not in their computer. The shop I took mine to happens to aline local race/drag cars so they will do what ever you want. These specs are now in their system under 69-70 Shelby so whenever I go back in to have it checked or do a suspension mod I don't have to hunt down my specs agin. The shop that didn't "ask for specs" probably is using standard specs.

zstang;I run this on my 69, works well...........caster +2 camber 0 1/16-1/8 toe

I went to a local shop the same one I have been going to for over 40 years. They asked what I wanted and I said set to local road conditions. The car is stock suspension and manual steering with the 1" drop . Caster L. 1 &1/2-R. 1 & 3/4, Camber 0 and Toe-in 1/16. Pretty much what zstang is using. Brian