Sign in to follow this  
Lindy

Lower A Pillar Replacement

I am getting ready to replace my lower A pillars, the cowl, inner, lower and upper assembly along with the pillars which are all rust out completely, someone tried to bondo them back in.

They are welded in good on the bottom but mid way is no metal, not sure how to reconstruct this since I haven't a clue what its suppose to look like, has anyone else done this repair that can offer some good advice.

I am pretty concerned with how I know how to weld it into the correct position, to make sure the top is not too far in or out, and bottom is mounted in the correct position forward to back, I cannot trust what was done previously on the car, the last person just restored everything wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

1969 Coupe - Nothing special is an L-code.

First of all welcome to the forum you will find there are a lot of guys and gals on here with a lot of talent. I personally have not replaced the A pillars but had to replace the B pillars on my sportsroof. They were bad enough I can see your concern about removing the A pillars. I'm sure there are some that will offer you a lot of help though. I'm not sure but I think someone does make the A pillars seems like I have seen them before.

Good luck with your build and take lots of measurements and go slow I'm sure you will do fine.

Dave

Thanks, doing my part to save a Mustang, car was in very bad shape when i got it, only major rust left to repair now is the cowl and everything below it, LOL. Everything else is pretty solid as far as no rust.

Met some folks over on the VMF forums told me I should join over here, that there was a lot more specific content geared to my year car.

Looking forward to working with everyone.

Thanks, doing my part to save a Mustang, car was in very bad shape when i got it, only major rust left to repair now is the cowl and everything below it, LOL. Everything else is pretty solid as far as no rust.

Met some folks over on the VMF forums told me I should join over here, that there was a lot more specific content geared to my year car.

Looking forward to working with everyone.

Forgot to mention that I did replace the cowl assy. and firewall on mine .

The cowl is not that big of a deal if your not replacing the firewall. IMO

I think I would replace the A pillars one at a time before removing the cowl

I would think that you would have a better shot at getting the pillars back in the same location. Just my .02 worth.

PS I did check on Kentucky Mustang site and they do have the A pillars as probably a lot of Mustang dealers. Kind of pricy though.

Edited by det0326

I plan on welding up a brace for the upper pillar and welding it to the floor to make sure they don't move and stay in place. I only cut out the corner of the cowl and I am going to only do one pillar at a time, then replace the cowl assembly up top, that should take care of all my leaks.

The firewall is in great shape, so are the outer cowls panels. The inner cowls came tonight, I see they have indents where the pillars go, i think this is gonna be a no brainer, I matched up all the parts and they look like they will just fit right in and be able to be welded, I will snap some pics during the process.

I plan on welding up a brace for the upper pillar and welding it to the floor to make sure they don't move and stay in place. I only cut out the corner of the cowl and I am going to only do one pillar at a time, then replace the cowl assembly up top, that should take care of all my leaks.

The firewall is in great shape, so are the outer cowls panels. The inner cowls came tonight, I see they have indents where the pillars go, i think this is gonna be a no brainer, I matched up all the parts and they look like they will just fit right in and be able to be welded, I will snap some pics during the process.

Another thing about the cowl, the only way I have seen it for sale is an assembly. Upper and lower spot welded together. The area where the lower cowl is welded to the inner kick panel has no access to weld it unless you separate the upper part from the lower part and weld the lower in first then weld the upper to the lower. I have seen some use panel bond on this seam, how you want to do it would be up to you, just a heads up on it .

Dave

Hi Lindy,

That was me that posted the pic for you on VMF. I am also re-building a 69 Coupe & I also have to do some work on the l/s upper "A" pillar. My Coupe needs work where the upper door hinge bolts to the "A" pillar.

Mike.

P.S.- where about are in the Pocono's in Pa?. I used to live just across the river in Warren county in NJ before moving to the shore.

Good to see you posting here, and welcome to the forum. Great bunch of people around here who are willing to share their experience. When you get a moment, post some pics, they help tell the story of what you are facing. I'm fixing to remove the pass. side lower A pillar this week, got the driver's side fairly well buttoned up last night. I'll be shure to post more pics on this repair, if you would like to check it out.

If you need any help...

Good to see you posting here, and welcome to the forum. Great bunch of people around here who are willing to share their experience. When you get a moment, post some pics, they help tell the story of what you are facing. I'm fixing to remove the pass. side lower A pillar this week, got the driver's side fairly well buttoned up last night. I'll be shure to post more pics on this repair, if you would like to check it out.

If you need any help...

Thats cool, were pretty much doing the same work, my parts are on back order, hope they show up soon, I will not proceed any further until I get the parts, just going to get the upper pillars welded up this weekend. I will post some pics tonight if I have time, time is my enemy I have very little of it with work and all.

Hello everybody, I hear a lot about A & B pillars, but what about the post that sits on top of the pillars all the way up both sides of the windshield to the roof. Not sure what they are called, windshield pillars, door frame, posts? I cannot find any parts or any body that has replaced them. Is there some one here that has any experience with replacing those? I think Pete at VMF alluded to patching them, but that would require some serious fabrication, and someone else said to go to a junk yard and cut them out of a parts car. Any help?