Sign in to follow this  
MustangRanch

Brake Line Distribution Block - Soaked in solvent...

Did I do a bad thing? ... after 44 years; the brake lines did not want to let go of their comfortable distribution block. Cut the lines, removed it from the car and soaked the whole distribution block in a bucket-o-parts cleaner. (yes I did get the middle plastic/electrical connection off the top).

With a significant amount of motivation that included a tree in the backyard, the lines finally let loose. however, I'm wondering if there are any vulnerable parts inside the block that may have been damaged by the soaking... anybody know? Copper sure looks nice and shiny now though...

Thanks.

Did I do a bad thing? ... after 44 years; the brake lines did not want to let go of their comfortable distribution block. Cut the lines, removed it from the car and soaked the whole distribution block in a bucket-o-parts cleaner. (yes I did get the middle plastic/electrical connection off the top).

With a significant amount of motivation that included a tree in the backyard, the lines finally let loose. however, I'm wondering if there are any vulnerable parts inside the block that may have been damaged by the soaking... anybody know? Copper sure looks nice and shiny now though...

Thanks.

What kind of solvent? If it is just the old run of the mill shop solvent

probably not. The kind I am referring to is not much more than kerosene.

Anything stronger then I don't know. If the ports were open you may have got some grit or trash inside you may have to clean it out .

Edited by det0326

Is it Power or Manual brakes. While its off you might want to rebuild it, it is very easy. Theres a brass check pin inside with 2 O rings. The check pin moves from side to side telling you if you have a leak (front or back). Most of the times the pin gets frozen stuck. There's a great youtube video on the power brake rebuild by Classic Cougar. I think the parts are about $10 and you can get them from MuscleCarResearch.com

Soaking parts in Vinegar, will produce the same results.