Sign in to follow this  
Lil John SVT

What Is My Car Worth

I'm debating on selling my 1969 coupe. Trying to see if I can get my money back or how much loss I'll take. Too much loss and I'll park it behind the shop until I have time or just keep it.

Here's the rundown,

Interior, all original, but will need restored. Dash pad, seat covers, carpet, package tray. Headliner is in good shape. Dash lights don't work. But running lights, headlights, and brake lights work.

Exterior, needs panel replacement. Needs floor board replacement. Hood has front lip damage, but can be repaired. Doors have rust on lower corners. Fenders have rust on the bottoms. Passenger fender has dents in it but is repairable. Both quarters need work. I don't think full replacement though. The taillight sheetmetal needs replacing, has damage from previous wreck. Vinyl top needs replacing. All glass is good. Door and quarter glass needs to be glued back in. Tires, they are dry rotted. Still can get around but I wouldn't trust them. Chrome mag wheels but they are rusty.

Drivetrain, runs perfect and transmission works great. Has a 351w with a C4. Originally came with a 250 I6. Power steering needs rebuilding. A lot of play in it. Brakes work, non power. Was original a/c car. All the a/c stuff is there. But during the engine swap they put a newer compressor on the motor. Don't know if it works or not. I installed a brand new gas tank and sending unit.

This goes with the car, all are brand new,

new lower door hinge, chin spoiler, floorboards to replace the rusted portions, new wheel brake cylinders, battery tray and hold down, hood lip chrome replacement, rear valance, new fan shroud, and a few other minor odd and ends.

I have around $5,000 invested right now. So I was thinking of just trying to get my money back. Does this price seem to high? The car is in great shape. Not a total rust bucket by far.

Edited by Lil John SVT

5k is pretty high to me for a coupe that needs that much work. There just is not as much value in a coupe as there is in a fastback or convertible. I have seen completely restored coupes in my area go for 10k and under. I like coupes just as much as the next guy but there were more of them made than the other body styles and most people use them for parts cars. If you could get 2500-3000 you are doing good. You can make a lot more stripping it down and selling it off piece by piece.

I wouldn't scrap it if you don't want to part it. Sell all the new parts you bought and then sell the car. You can try ebay also. I think it is free to list 3 cars a year now and some times people really pay a lot when there is not a lot to choose from in their area. Just a thought.