prayers1

How do you fix steering wheel play?

I was curious about those things, so I opened up my old one to see if I could do anything with it. What a mess of pieces and individual ball bearings. All the pieces are sitting in a box, never to be put back together. Without knowing what is worn and what is good, it is hard to know how to repair it. If I had a perfectly good one all in pieces, I would be able to figure it out. Until then, mine will sit on the shelf, collecting dust, like all my other old parts.

It can be overwhelming at first. Take a look at the parts diagrams here which are also shown below. t.gif

t.gift.gifexplode_strgbox_GIF2.gif

You have the sector shaft (vertical one) with bearings on each end. You then have the input shaft (horizontal one) with the thrust bearings on each end and the rack block that has a bunch of the ball bearings. If you think these are bad, try tearing into a transmission valve body ;)

As far as wear, this link has pictures of typical wear on the input shaft, rack block, and sector shaft (don't forget the rack block and sector shaft are on the second page!). He does a good job explaining the different wear patterns and has pictures to back up the descriptions. If there isn't any visual pitting or strange wear patterns, then its safe to say those components are reusable. The thrust and end bearings aren't as easily inspected, so you have to see if there is play in the bearings my moving the bearings when installed on the shafts (kinda like checking wheel bearings). Finally, the ball bearings should be obvious if they are worn. If they aren't spherical any more then they need replaced.

Hi guys,

I need to remove my PS box to repair some damage caused by a leaking master cylinder. What size is that huge nut on the pitman arm? I only have a 1 1/4 socket and it's still too small.

I presume that this is the best way to remove the box, rag joint, three chassis bolts, pitman arm and then remove by taking it all up where the booster and master cylinder have been removed?