Sign in to follow this  
LiLMike

Timing Cover Crankshaft Seal

I am having a hard time trying to figure out how the seal is installed. All seals I have seen are installed from the rear of the timing cover. In the first pic you will see the piece that I am pointing out. This is also on my old timing cover and the old seal just presses into the hole from the rear. In pic 2 I have this notched piece that is installed first before the cover goes on. Notice that it is notched for the same keyway that is used by the harmonic balancer. In photo 3 is the seal that I received with my new timing cover. It looks simular to the notched piece. It has a wide lip on it that will not allow it to be installed from the rear of the cover. The only way this seal can be installed is from the front with the lip exposed to the balancer. I'm just not sure how all this goes together. Does the new seal take the place of the notched piece and I need a different seal that installes from the rear or does all this go together with the new seal being installed from the front? Thanks for all your help in advance.

Pic 2 is the oil slinger. It goes on the crankshaft just in front of the timing gear. Many timing sets (especially double roller) say not to use it. Ford stopped using them around '70. A better way to get oil on the chain is to drill a .020 hole in one of the oil galley plugs.

Edited by 69gmachine
spelling

69gMachine, I have a 95% stock 351w. All the internals and prue stock, including the timing chain. I'll keep the oil slinger as is for now and plan on upgrading to a doubler roller when I build my motor. Not ready for that yet. Just want to get this back together, finish my AAW wiring install so I can drive it till I have the money for the motor build. I do thank you for that bit of info that I will gladly keep in mind when the time comes. Now to figure out how this seal is installed so I can get the timing cover back on. Is there any type of seal or such that goes on the balancer. I'm thinking not, that it just installs on the crank aligned with the keyway.

Fordbsg, in the 5 part manual I have it shows that it is installed from the inside. If I install it from the outside that lip would be right behind the balancer but you must be correct because that is the only way this one can be installed.

I would check the ford casting number on the timing cover and confirm that it is a early style cover. There are slight differences from early to late model timing covers.

If you google the part number, you should be able to find a site that will decode it and tell you what year it is from.

Look at the seal its self, notice the taper? The taper is for the balancer so it's doesn't destroy the seal. If the seal is inverted the spring inside the seal will pop out when you install the balancer

Fordbsg, so the spring will mount farthest away from the balancer?

J69302, This is a new timing cover from Edlebrock and this is the seal that was sent to me with it. I just thought something didn't look right and want to be sure before I assemble it.

Regardless of which timing cover you have, the seal must face the same way. The channel faces toward the engine. Later timing covers do not have a lip so the seal can be installed from the front without removing the timing cover, but the seal always faces the same way.

LiLMike ... that seal is probably a late model cover seal that gets installed from the outside.

You need the early cover seal that does not have that big flange on it (SBF gasket kits USED TO include both) ... it's construction will be backwards of this flanged one so the seal tenstion spring is towards the INSIDE.

Doug