82firebird

Marth Mustang: 69 Mach 1

Thanks guys, the subframe connectors were custom, made by the person we bought the car from. He did a great job. They are very similar to TinMan fabrication's SFC's.

We spent some time yesterday trying to get gaps more dialed in. We are having an issue at the bottom of the driver's side door. It is too "flat" on the lower section and starts off even with the rocker and then tapers to about 1/8" difference. Any suggestions on what to do here? We have thought about trying to tap the bottom out so it lines up or splicing the bottom of the door and pulling it out and re-welding. The hinge settings seem to be pretty well on, as the fender and quoter panel both line up nice and flat.

IMG_8349_zps1baca7b3.jpg

IMG_8344_zps25291ed4.jpg

IMG_8343_zpsbc18f132.jpg

The aftermarket hood is fitting well everywhere except the middle where it meets the cowl. It is way too flat while the cowl has a nice curvature.

IMG_8360_zps8585b6a6.jpg

IMG_8358_zpsff62efe4.jpg

IMG_8350_zps34e4bd10.jpg

IMG_8353_zps4c514e13.jpg

Last night we finished welding and grinding on the door gaps. When we thought they looked good we sprayed some white epoxy. We did this not only to cover the bare metal, but we have learned the value in using color to put things into better perspective. The black door gap shows up with much better contrast than it would when the panels are dark.

doorgaps_zps37108bdd.png

doorgaps2_zpsd87d62e6.jpg

Thanks guys, the subframe connectors were custom, made by the person we bought the car from. He did a great job. They are very similar to TinMan fabrication's SFC's.

Thanks 82, I have Tinman's and thought they looked familiar. BTW, I spent a good 45 minutes reading the resto on your 67 Eleanor project at the SPI forum. Pretty cool that you have a wife who shares your passion. What is the status on that car? Last post there it was painted but not assembled. Keep posing on the 69.

Thanks for the kind words. We are still waiting for various pieces to be finished and painted on Eleanor. It is the never-ending project, that is for sure. Here is how she sits right now:

9D6CA550-13BC-4F4C-B878-3DC47FB6A5C2-2773-0000022DF712182E_zpsc5b86c0d.jpg

and for anyone else who wants to check out this project: http://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/609633-a-womans-project-68-fastback-86.html

What did you weld on your door and fender to make you gaps smaller?

For the small areas, I just welded the edges. There was maybe 6" total length that ended up needing welded, but the total weld width when said and done might make up 1/16", it wasn't much on a measurement scale, but to the eye, it makes all the difference.

We didn't suspect it but the car was a huge undertaking and we've learned a ridiculous amount from the experience. We've actually had more fun than I'd imagine with this '69 because of it. Everything just fits, meant to go with the car, you can buy the parts from your local auto store, etc. With Eleanor it's NOTHING fits, NOTHING goes with the car, and get ready to fork out a crap ton of money and hold on for one heck of an emotional ride. They didn't call her a unicorn for nothing. In fact, she still is an imaginary creature that we seem to keep chasing.

No, we will paint this one ourselves.

We didn't suspect it but the car was a huge undertaking and we've learned a ridiculous amount from the experience. We've actually had more fun than I'd imagine with this '69 because of it. Everything just fits, meant to go with the car, you can buy the parts from your local auto store, etc. With Eleanor it's NOTHING fits, NOTHING goes with the car, and get ready to fork out a crap ton of money and hold on for one heck of an emotional ride. They didn't call her a unicorn for nothing. In fact, she still is an imaginary creature that we seem to keep chasing.

No, we will paint this one ourselves.

"imaginary creature".....LOL! I can imagine.

I'm about to put my 69 through a rotisserie type resto, attempting most of the work myself. I will likely dole out the paint work, as it is metallic and I just don't feel comfortable enough in that area. If it were a solid color, I'd consider it but things are a bit different with a metallic. Regardless, I'll be following your build closely. Thanks for posting......

I love the Eleanor progress thread. A lot of useful information.

Thanks Big! Lauren has done a great job keeping that topic active from the beginning. It has been a journey to say the least! We have learned all there is to know on the E cars and we still have a ways to go. :thumbup:

What is that scissor aparatus that is mounted on the front Go Jack? Curious as this might be a usefull tool to get for my car. Never saw this before

That is a scissor transmission jack. Ever try to jack a transmission up with a standard jack, this is the way to go!

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/transmission-jacks/450-lb-capacity-transmission-jack-39178.html