Sign in to follow this  
69SlowResto

Adding a Shaker to my 302

Hi guys,

I'm adding a repro shaker to my 1969 302 as shown in the link. I have the Edelbrock Top End kit and I have also purchased the Ron Morris adjustable engine mounts (figured I would need these mounts to make the shaker work). Is there anything else that I will need to make this work with my motor or does the kit have everything I need to bolt it on?

If anyone has any other words of wisdom for me I'm all ears.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/shaker-assembly-with-template-small-block-1969-1970/p/SHKR1K/

Cheers

Lee

Hi guys,

I'm adding a repro shaker to my 1969 302 as shown in the link. I have the Edelbrock Top End kit and I have also purchased the Ron Morris adjustable engine mounts (figured I would need these mounts to make the shaker work). Is there anything else that I will need to make this work with my motor or does the kit have everything I need to bolt it on?

If anyone has any other words of wisdom for me I'm all ears.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/shaker-assembly-with-template-small-block-1969-1970/p/SHKR1K/

Cheers

Lee

As i found, you really dont know what you will have to deal with unitl you get the unit and can close the hood and check for correct height and profile.

What distributor are you using? If aftermarket, you may have height clearance issues. I checked several on my 351c conversion and found the stock unit to have the shortest height.

As i found, you really dont know what you will have to deal with unitl you get the unit and can close the hood and check for correct height and profile.

What distributor are you using? If aftermarket, you may have height clearance issues. I checked several on my 351c conversion and found the stock unit to have the shortest height.

I was planning on using the stock distributor re-curved from GN Mustang Barn with a Pertronix in it.

Cheers

Lee

I was planning on using the stock distributor re-curved from GN Mustang Barn with a Pertronix in it.

Cheers

Lee

Car is still in the shop and I don't think I'll get it back for at least another month.

I have the same repro shaker, a 289 with a Weiand Street Warrior and the Holley 570 cfm Avenger and a Mallory Unilite dist. At the shop I test fitted the shaker and found that the air cleaner sat too low on the carb and hitting the rear float adjustment screw.

I believe to fix my problem is that I'll need a spacer in between the carb and the air cleaner assembly. I won't know this for sure until I get the car back.

Let us know how yours fit!

There is the functional fit that you have to deal with but then there is the exterior body component that most are challenged with. I see lots of shakers that sit higher than they should. I am surprised Prayers sits low enough that he can tolerate a spacer and still have the right profile with the hood.

The more common scenario with aftermarket manifolds and carbs is that they sit too high and you have to craft ways to lower the height to get the correct profile.

Edited by miketyler

Here's what mine looks like with only the base. You can see that the back hits the Float Adj screw and the front hits the spark plugs. I'm hoping that if I can get it to rest in the rear, it will bring up the front. Either way with the shaker installed it still sits too low. Here's a picture with a chrome air cleaner withe just the scoop, no mid plate.

1969Boss351007_zpsf5211fef.jpg

1969Boss351009_zps03d2a515.jpg

Edited by prayers1