Sign in to follow this  
69R-CODE

Big block mufflers

All,

I am getting ready to purchase my mufflers for my 428CJ. I am on the fence on which mufflers to get. Many say the Flowmaster 40 & super 44 series are too loud and drone and others say Magnaflows are too quite.

I want a good rumble that gets noticed at idle and still be able to hear my radio on the open road.

I am going with(all 2.25") stock manifolds to H-pipe (muffler?) to stock pipes out the back.

Any suggestions?

All,

I am getting ready to purchase my mufflers for my 428CJ. I am on the fence on which mufflers to get. Many say the Flowmaster 40 & super 44 series are too loud and drone and others say Magnaflows are too quite.

I want a good rumble that gets noticed at idle and still be able to hear my radio on the open road.

I am going with(all 2.25") stock manifolds to H-pipe (muffler?) to stock pipes out the back.

Any suggestions?

I have Super 44's on a built 351w with 2.5" pipes and turn downs...and it gets noticed at idle for sure. They are loud, but I wanted loud (for now). Drone for me only comes at certain RPMs, so I avoid those RPM/speeds on long drives. Other than that, no complaints. People all have their own opinions, but I like the H-pipe and Flowmaster sound on a classic Mustang. I'm not even sure if I've personally heard a Magnaflow in an h-pipe, always seems to be paired with x-pipes. Might want to look into Dynomax too.

I have Super 44's on a built 351w with 2.5" pipes and turn downs...and it gets noticed at idle for sure. They are loud, but I wanted loud (for now). Drone for me only comes at certain RPMs, so I avoid those RPM/speeds on long drives. Other than that, no complaints. People all have their own opinions, but I like the H-pipe and Flowmaster sound on a classic Mustang. I'm not even sure if I've personally heard a Magnaflow in an h-pipe, always seems to be paired with x-pipes. Might want to look into Dynomax too.

I am running 2 1/4" Flowmaster 40's with the OE ' H ' pipe. Good sound at idle and through the gears. I have the 428 motor and am not much on music or conversation while driving. Brian

Edited by Brian Conway

I am running 2 1/4" Flowmaster 40's with the OE ' H ' pipe. Good sound at idle and through the gears. I have the 428 motor and am not much on music or conversation while driving. Brian

Edited by Brian Conway

Using Hooker Max Flows with 3 inch pipes on a 482 FE. Pretty quiet at idle and no drone. Pretty loud under acceleration though. Was using Dynomax large bodied turbo mufflers with Dynomax Bullets as resonators which were louder. Switched to the Max Flows and my neighbor quit complaining about the noise. Was using an H-pipe with the turbo mufflers and now have an X-pipe which might also be quieter. Hate the X-pipe sound but have it on to keep the neighbor happy.

Using Hooker Max Flows with 3 inch pipes on a 482 FE. Pretty quiet at idle and no drone. Pretty loud under acceleration though. Was using Dynomax large bodied turbo mufflers with Dynomax Bullets as resonators which were louder. Switched to the Max Flows and my neighbor quit complaining about the noise. Was using an H-pipe with the turbo mufflers and now have an X-pipe which might also be quieter. Hate the X-pipe sound but have it on to keep the neighbor happy.