Sign in to follow this  
Restomod

70 gas pedal

Does anyone have a picture or the diagram for the 70 gas pedal, mostly what it looks like from behind the pedal when the pedal is attached to the assembly arm? Drove home from getting the car inspected last night and the pedal itself came loose, it is really sloppy from side to side. Didn't have time to look at it yet and I am sitting at work thinking about it.

Ok let me modify my question, for some reason I am a thread killer within my own threads lol.

Is there a difference in the mounting of the pedal between a 70 Mach 1 and a Fastback? Obviously there is a trim ring but beyond that the pictures I can find of the mounting to the arm look the same? CJ is freaking me out with their description...

Mustang Accelerator Pedal With Spring and Bolt Kit 1969-1970

Part Number: HW3086

Accelerator Pedal with a Spring and Bolt Kit for all 1969-1970 Mustangs.

This is a direct replacement, original style accelerator pedal made from black plastic. Includes a new pedal spring and bolt for a quick and easy installation, no more searching for additional parts.

*This accelerator pedal will fit 1969-1970 Mach 1's and Grande's, however it would not be 100% correct without the metal trim ring. In addition, the mounting area on the back of the pedal is slightly different for those applications, modifications may be necessary.

Does this help?

$T2eC16FHJGoE9nuQeWveBRD!(zk0ww~~60_12.JPG

More pics:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-69-Ford-Mustang-Cougar-Mach-1-XR7-Eliminator-Gas-Accelerator-Pedal-Cable-/300855464701?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460c6212fd&vxp=mtr

I don't think there is anything different between the stainless trim gas pedals and the standard pedals short of the trim itself. Similar to clutch and brake pedal pads, the stainless bezel crimps over the standard pedal pad. The gas pedal is no different from my understanding. I'm not sure what CJ Pony is getting at on that one. Maybe give them a call?

Standard pedal back:

$(KGrHqJ,!lwFGZ-M4dR,BRpY(EgZig~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Mustang-Mach1-Boss-Shelby-Fastback-Grande-Cougar-gas-foot-accelerator-pedal-/390603317278?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af1c5a01e&vxp=mtr

Those are the exact same pictures I was using to look at on ebay as well lol. I am going to Carlisle so maybe I can get my hands on a pedal at the CJ booth and look. I thought they were the same until I read that but my guess is that is their blanket CYA statement. I also cant find the trim ring for the pedal although I haven't really looked hard is that sold separate?

I stripped a 69 mach 1 and it had stainless trim around all pedals.. To bad almost everything was destroyed from rust..

Sweet. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for this trim. I know I have the emergency brake pad with trim because I use it as a door stop in my bedroom. lol

Well luckily my current pedal has one so I assume that if I buy a repop pedal I could transfer the trim ring. I know that is a lot of assumptions, what's the chances a repop pedal actually fits like an original trim ring.

Doesn't look like any of those pedals has a whole lot to keep them tight right to left other than the rubber mount tabs on each side. I haven't pulled mine yet but I have to assume my rubber tabs are getting sloppy if the whole pedal can move to far left to right.

Well luckily my current pedal has one so I assume that if I buy a repop pedal I could transfer the trim ring. I know that is a lot of assumptions, what's the chances a repop pedal actually fits like an original trim ring.

Doesn't look like any of those pedals has a whole lot to keep them tight right to left other than the rubber mount tabs on each side. I haven't pulled mine yet but I have to assume my rubber tabs are getting sloppy if the whole pedal can move to far left to right.

I know what you mean!

Double check the play in the pedal is at the pad itself or if it is at the mounting bracket.

how are you getting the cable to stay on the "pull" part of the pedal? Mine consistently comes off and slips though.

Mine used to pop out on occasion when I drove it all Summer back in the 80's, but can't remember the last time it happened since then.

I always thought there was some sort of factory clip / retainer that was missing ... but on all the 69-70's I messed with or grabbed parts off of in salvage yards over the years I've never seen one with any kind of retainer. I've often thought of making some sort of clip, but never got around to it.

Doug