Sign in to follow this  
specialfinds

Speakers in convertible

When I bought my car the PO had some encased speakers that sat on the rear seat against the arm rest wired in. When I started to put the interior back together I ran the wires back there again with some bullet type disconnects and extra length in case I want to use them again or find a new location. With no real good option though other than cutting and wanting to update my stock seats to something more modern with bolsters anyway I decided to use '85 Fiero Seats with the speakers built into the headrest (recovered to match of course) which I wired to the rear speaker leads. I also installed a seperate volume control knob for each seat at the base so in the event that I do have rear passengers or extra seat speakers in the future I can have them cranked and lower the ones behind my head so I don't go deaf. Plus the wife likes it a little lower than I do anyway so can adjust each side to suit.

I had speakers built into the backside of the seat cushions. That means there is no cushion if you are actually sitting in the back seat, but I do not care about that. I had a section of the vinyl seat covering replaced with speaker grill cloth for the sound to come through. With big amps it cranks a lot of volume, and you really cannot see the speakers at all. It was a complex installation, if you want to know more, I can tell you.

If I had to do it all over again, I would change just a bit. The low frequency sound will pass through the vinyl, so I would not replace the vinyl. Just put the speakers behind it, you can hear the low frequencies fine. Then I would all little tweeters somewhere else, maybe on top of the rear seat back?