Sign in to follow this  
TheRktmn

Introduction and tach question

Hi, my name is Bob aka The Rocketman and I am the owner of Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations (http://www.rccinnovations.com). Some of you may already know me from my three wire tach and volt meter conversions or my other innovations such as the warning light tachometers for 71-73 Mustangs and my mini tachs for 67-68 Mustangs.

My current project is a factory look bolt-in tachometer for non-tach 69-70 Mustangs and I was told that this is the place to go for feedback and opinions.

Right now I have two working models and figured it was time to ask some questions before I get into it any deeper.

The design and prototype work I can do with a cluster assembly here in my shop, but I don't have a 69 or 70 Mustang so I will need someone that is willing to install and critique ('field test') the final product. Usually I have 1 or 2 people do this and in exchange they get to keep the tach.

So, right off the bat - is there any interest for this tach?

Welcome Bob. If I didn't already have a factory tach I would be a volunteer, and I just recently sent it out for conversion to a 3 wire.

Your site says you make modern improvements to factory gauges. Have you given any thought to adding a low fuel light to the factory fuel gauge? I was thinking about adding an LED to my fuel gauge and using the sending unit from West Coast Classic Cougars (maybe you make that too?).

Welcome, I am sure someone will be all over this soon and willing to be a tester. If I thought my car would be on the road anytime soon I'd jump in, I have no factory tach and finally opted for a hood tach instead.

Welcome Bob. If I didn't already have a factory tach I would be a volunteer, and I just recently sent it out for conversion to a 3 wire.

Your site says you make modern improvements to factory gauges. Have you given any thought to adding a low fuel light to the factory fuel gauge? I was thinking about adding an LED to my fuel gauge and using the sending unit from West Coast Classic Cougars (maybe you make that too?).

Actually I have been playing with the idea of adding a low fuel light to the Cougar fuel gauge without requiring the special sender that the XR7 uses. If I do it will be a fairly easy crossover to the Mustang.

Will your "kit" have other gauges to replace the fuel/temp? Or would those be sacrificed to install the tach?

That's one of the things I need to ask y'all about. I was considering making a three in one to replace the temp / fuel in the center right pod but it gets pretty crowded and very pricy going that route. Right now I am leaning toward replacing the ammeter in the far left pod with a combination tach / volt meter.

All right I am not the most technical electrical guy so I wont be able to tackle the install myself by I have my uncle for help and want in.

I have a non-tach cluster in my 70 and last summer I bought a steering wheel mounted tach but have not installed it yet. This sounds like a pretty cool product and compromise to finding an original cluster, are there any other requirements on the car to be eligible that I might not have? Obviously it must be separate of the circuit board on the backside so do all the gauges get a new circuit?

How much changes in the install, can I take the parts I dont need out so I can put it back in for the next guy? Or is the wiring/cluster altered to the point that if I wanted to go back I need a new cluster?

I make my innovations as bolt in as possible. So far none of them require changes to the cluster to install them and I want to keep it that way. If I use the ammeter pod then installation will be a snap - there are only two screws that hold that pod to the back of the cluster. Obviously you'll have to remove the cluster first but there's no way around that.

The OEM circuit on the back will remain unchanged, you will need to connect three wires, one going to the distributor or ignition tach connection. Your OEM parts that get replaced will be reusable, the ones that you have to reuse with the new gauge will not be altered.

Ok let me know what you need from me I would love to try it. I wasn't looking forward to the steering column tach anyway and I love to help someone making a product.

Also if it matters I don't really care how you have to change the layout as long as I can change it back later. If you have to take out another gauge to change the layout around I dont mind. I am sure you are familiar with where the blinkers, fuel, temp and other gauges are if you put in a tach on a non-cluster 70. As long as the blinkers are still there someplace the rest don't really matter to me besides fuel. I had planned to put in a water temp and volt gauge in the console with a Shelby gauge pod anyway.

Hi, my name is Bob aka The Rocketman and I am the owner of Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations (http://www.rccinnovations.com). Some of you may already know me from my three wire tach and volt meter conversions or my other innovations such as the warning light tachometers for 71-73 Mustangs and my mini tachs for 67-68 Mustangs.

My current project is a factory look bolt-in tachometer for non-tach 69-70 Mustangs and I was told that this is the place to go for feedback and opinions.

Right now I have two working models and figured it was time to ask some questions before I get into it any deeper.

The design and prototype work I can do with a cluster assembly here in my shop, but I don't have a 69 or 70 Mustang so I will need someone that is willing to install and critique ('field test') the final product. Usually I have 1 or 2 people do this and in exchange they get to keep the tach.

So, right off the bat - is there any interest for this tach?

Hi Bob. I think this is an awful idea and you should abandon it immediately, as it will take away some of my business refurbishing and converting underdash harnesses to fit OEM tach dash clusters. :001_tongue:

Seriously, the 71/73 crowd loves this conversion and I'm sure the 69/70 crowd will do so as well.

Randy aka Midlife

http://midlife66.com/harnesses

That's one of the things I need to ask y'all about. I was considering making a three in one to replace the temp / fuel in the center right pod but it gets pretty crowded and very pricy going that route. Right now I am leaning toward replacing the ammeter in the far left pod with a combination tach / volt meter.

That would make for an interesting gauge -- you have any pics of your prototypes? My car will be coming back from paint shortly (new motor already installed) and I will be getting it on the road soon. I am willing to be your guinea pig.

I would have been all over this if I hadn't already gone the other route. With the required alteration to the harness and the expense of an original tach panel, this should be a hit. I always wondered why no one had done this before. Will your prototype look identical to the OEM unit?

I think placing the tach in one of the 2 large center pods would look more aesthetically pleasing.

How about moving the 2 displaced gauges to the outside pods with 2 movements in each, so you would have fuel/volts on one side, and oil pressure and water temp on the other?

I think placing the tach in one of the 2 large center pods would look more aesthetically pleasing.

How about moving the 2 displaced gauges to the outside pods with 2 movements in each, so you would have fuel/volts on one side, and oil pressure and water temp on the other?

I get what you are saying and from the aesthetics standpoint that makes sense but from a cost stand point I think it would be out. You are then basically changing every gauge, and you have to completely rearrange the blinkers plus all new wiring for everything. At that point you are so far from stock looking why even buy stock looking gauges you might as well just get aftermarket and get whatever you want.

There isnt a perfect solution with the way the layout of the gauges is in a non-tach cluster. To put it in the larger right hole means to much cost and change, to put it in a smaller gauge wont look 100% original. My guess is Bob needs to lean towards the cheaper side since it has to be a compromise.

He could do two models, something to fill the void of no tach in the smaller hole for those that don't care about the size/looks. And another model that replicates the stock look exactly of a tach layout from factory since no one is doing that?

Randy - sorry about this, but I just can't help it, it's a sickness... ;) If it helps I do send everyone that asks me to help them convert a cluster or add accessory gauges to you.

MustangGT - No pictures yet. I generally don't release any until I am ready to start selling them. I will say that my tachs are designed to look like factory gauges.

Speaking of which - the design I am working on is made to go in the black face (standard?) cluster, not the blue-gray (deluxe?) cluster.

The current design is like this speedo:

M6970speedo.jpg

I did a version with the deluxe graphics but it looks odd when mixed with the black face gauges.

69gmachine - My first go was at the center-right pod but it looks too 'modern' with the three in one and the price was getting up there. I try really hard to make these things affordable and they have to look like they were factory.

Right now I am torn over the 2 in 1 design looking too modern and may go with an ALT warning light instead of the volt meter... Of course that opens another can of worms with adding another wire to the mix. It would be easier to replace the oil pressure gauge with a tach and oil warning light.

Honestly, my first choice would be to have just a tach and replace either the oil or amp gauge and leave it up to the owner to install aftermarket gauges in a console or pillar pod.

But that's why I'm here - to see what the guys that own 'em, drive 'em and work on 'em have to say.

Edited by TheRktmn

Well so in the deluxe package for my Mach the black gauge is going to look funny with all my other gray gauges then.

I am guessing there is a reason no one has really tackled this yet. It gets to complicated in a hurry and you cant please everyone from either a cost or aesthetics perspective?

Yeah, nothing is easy and Ford went out of it's way to make this one harder.

I am not against doing both standard and deluxe styles if the demand is there, but I have to start with one or the other - which is more common in non-tach clusters?

I bet that is a good question for Randy, he may see more of one than the other come in.

From my viewing on the interwebs I hardly ever see the standard gauges come up but I am not really sure what that means?

I dont know about the Boss 9's but the 302's unless they special ordered it with deluxe interior came from the factory with Standard interior. So the vast majority of Boss 302's were standard and deluxe would be the rarity.

Outside of the Boss line the general rule of thumb is Mach's and Grande's came with deluxe interior all other Fastbacks and Coupes came with standard. My guess is there are way more standard interiors in theory then deluxe as shown below. But to me it seems as though that most people with the standard dashes were more likely to just ditch it for an aftermarket through out the years?

I am generalizing a lot and am only one opinion though, someone with a standard interior might be able to jump in on how often they see them?

1970 Ford Mustang

Production Figures

63A 2door Fastback,

Standard 39,470

63B 2door Fastback,

Deluxe 6,464

63C 2door Fastback,

Mach 1 40,970

65A 2door Hardtop Coupe,

Standard 77,161

65B 2door Hardtop Coupe,

Deluxe 5,408

65E 2door Hardtop Coupe,

Grande 13,581

76A Convertible,

Standard 6,199

76B Convertible,

Deluxe 1,474

Total 190,727

Special Mustangs (included above)

Boss 302 7,013

Boss 429 499

Edited by Restomod

Good info.

It's looking more & more like I will offer both standard and deluxe tachs to replace the oil gauge (far right pod).

If I go this route I will include a hidden Oil Pressure light in the tach & the appropriate sending unit to replace the one used by the gauge.

You got my vote then personally as it best of both worlds, cheaper to do, easier to install, and better looking than a steering column mount. I dont look at the oil gauge as much as I would a tach and a light would work just as good. It isnt a big gauge as some want but I get how much would have to be changed to accomplish a large gauge. Down the line though if you built a repro of the tach cluster I bet it would sell like crazy too for other groups. Only place a purist can find a set is by finding an original cluster and circuit, plus the wiring harness under the dash.

I will guinea pig the hell out of that all day long or pay for it when it comes out anyway.