Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

cracked rear shock mount

The weather has finally warmed up for me enough to get under the car again (woo-hoo!)

Upon inspection, it appears that one of the upper rear shock mounts is slightly cracked. Probably about a 3/4" long crack in the metal (no doubt, caused by the old seized adjustable air shocks).

What can be done? Add a bigger washer when I mount the top stud of the shock? :D Or is it possible to somehow weld it solid again? I've got kyb-gr2's going in, and this car is a cruise and show car, not a race car, if that makes any difference.

I'll be taking it to a garage, but I'd prefer to tell them what to do, rather than the other way around.

It should be no problem to fix. Have them stop drill the hole first with a 3/16" ish drill bit, remove the paint around the crack, and weld it up. The crack will be comming out of the shock mount hole, so it might have to be reamed once the welding is complete. Grind flat, touch up. The stop drill is to make shure the end of the crack is found, and has a stress relief before making it solid agean. Hope this helps.

It should be no problem to fix. Have them stop drill the hole first with a 3/16" ish drill bit, remove the paint around the crack, and weld it up. The crack will be comming out of the shock mount hole, so it might have to be reamed once the welding is complete. Grind flat, touch up. The stop drill is to make shure the end of the crack is found, and has a stress relief before making it solid agean. Hope this helps.

Exactly how it should be repaired. Classic example of why you don't put air shocks on a vintage Mustang.

Exactly how it should be repaired. Classic example of why you don't put air shocks on a vintage Mustang.

I learned that the very hard way. They came on my car when I bought it. Along with weak springs. Ended up ramming the shocks thru the mount and floor when I hit a good sized bump.

That was before the restore started. Im still in the restore stage so I havent gotten far enough to fix that yet. But I have to replace the support.