Sign in to follow this  
Machspeed

Export Brace

I want to replace the two piece export braces on my 69 Mach with a one piece but am finding out that not all these are created equal. Some of the re-pops are thin garbage.

Here's a link that talks about this: http://www.sancospecialties.com/mustang.htm

Additionally, I see various listings where one brace fits 65-70 model Mustangs while another listing shows 69-70 only. I would not think a brace that fits a 65-66 would fit a 69 or 70.

Can someone shed some light on this and advise on a quality brace?

Thanks!!!

This has been brought up before coupled with the same confusion with the Monte Carlo bars. Stick to the ones that specifically say '69-'70 for starters. They are in fact different than the earlier '60s. As for quality, it's hit or miss with these things. If you stick with the reputable dealers, you should be fine. I had installed the chrome one in my '70 and found it to be decent, I believe I ordered it from CJP.

IIRC the only difference in the years was the spacing of the holes where it meets the cowl. the early 65-66 Shelby cars had 4 evenly spaced mounting holes, everything else had a larger spacing in the middle with two holes on either side. I ordered the black one from Virginia mustang & its heavy guage metal & fits well. had a couple chrome ones in the past but the chrome quality was crap.

I opted for the more expensive black one from NPD, I think. I have no complaints. In a recent discussion regarding monte carlo bars, I have learned NPD sent me one intended for 67-68 Mustangs. It won't fit my car unless I modify it.

IIRC the only difference in the years was the spacing of the holes where it meets the cowl. the early 65-66 Shelby cars had 4 evenly spaced mounting holes, everything else had a larger spacing in the middle with two holes on either side. I ordered the black one from Virginia mustang & its heavy guage metal & fits well. had a couple chrome ones in the past but the chrome quality was crap.

The braces with 4 evenly spaced are from/ for cars that had them from the factory. The ones with a wider space between the center holes are retrofitted and after market.

Bob