Sign in to follow this  
delmo101

Mach1 quarter replace?

I've got a small rust spot (about 6" x 4") on my rear quarter down at rocker height. All 3 of the body shops that have looked at this said it is easier for them to just replace the entire quarter panel. Not really being a "body guy", this seems like so much more work to me. Anybody else experience this type of feedback?

I cant see how anyone could justify panel replacement if there was truly only 6x4 area damaged. Be sure you have assessed the entire panel for damage. Maybe there is a large amount of bondo in places on that same panel that they are seeing?

The book hours to replace a quarter has to be at least 10. Depending on the location of the rust, and whether you need the lower curved portion, doing a patch repair won't even come close to the cost of full replacement. A lot of repairs can be done in 10 hours. Every spot on the car you repair has the possibility of rust to form. On a full quarter replacement, that's a lot of area. always try for the simplest repair. But it is really difficult to guess without pictures.

Bob

Thanks all. I think their reasoning is time/rust forming at repair site. If quarter repalcement is a 10 -hour job, they're charging me almost $400 an hour. Maybe it's time to get better acquanted with my mig welder.

I highly recommend you take this on. Once you are done, possibly sub out the painting to a shop you trust. I have found it difficult to match paint, (especially metallics) and blend and is money usually well spent if the outcome suits your expectations.