Sign in to follow this  
signal20gsxr

5 leaf mid or reverse eye springs?

So like the title says I am needing to replace the rear springs on my 69 and I am not sure what ones to get. It has 620 1 inch lowering springs in the front that I cut 3/4 of a coil off. I have also done the Shelby drop as well. The front sits perfect. The rear has the stock sacked out springs currently with 1 inch lowering blocks. It sits perfect when I have a full tank of gas. When its empty its up to high. LOL. Plus they are just way to soft.

I have used Global West 5 leaf lowering springs before on another car. They picked the back end up higher than the sacked out stock springs. I had to add 1 inch lowering blocks. Even then it was still to high but because of the wheel offset (not enough back space) I was not able to go any lower.

I can try the mid eye but assume that I will need to add the lowering blocks I already have to them. I am concerned that the reverse eye might be to low. Don't have any idea. The front is a low as it can go. So lowering it more isn't an option. Just want to get the correct rear springs to allow the car to sit close to level. Ideally 1 to 1/2 inch higher in the rear would be perfect. I don't like the stink bug look but I also hate that low in the rear look. Anybody use either spring before that can give me some suggestions? Some measurements would be nice. Right now from the axle center line to 12 o'clock at the fender lip its 12.5 front 13.5 rear.

Thanks

I just installed a pair of leafs from Maier Racing with the 1 1/4" drop, I'm running 275/60/15 in the rear and from the ground to the middle of the wheel well it measures 28 3/4". Dont know what sized tires youre running but hope this helps your decision.

Edited by StephenC

Some measurements would be nice. Right now from the axle center line to 12 o'clock at the fender lip its 12.5 front 13.5 rear.

Thanks

Hopefully you get some. I've been debating the exact same thing. You can always lower the rear with blocks, but you can't exactly raise it if the springs lower the car too much.

Stephen, measurements from the centerline of the wheel to the fender/quarter lip eliminates the tire height issue.

I just installed a pair of leafs from Maier Racing with the 1 1/4" drop, I'm running 275/60/15 in the rear and from the ground to the middle of the wheel well it measures 28 3/4". Dont know what sized tires youre running but hope this helps your decision.

+1 for Maier Racing!! Mike Maier is one of the best in the business when it comes to early model Mustang suspension. He helped me setup my Mach. His springs are about the only TRUE advertised weight too. They are also built to act as a control arm, having more leafs to the front to help prevent axle wind-up.

I run Maier rear springs, spring plates, and Bilstein shocks.

t5r5zs.jpg

+1 for Maier Racing!! Mike Maier is one of the best in the business when it comes to early model Mustang suspension. He helped me setup my Mach. His springs are about the only TRUE advertised weight too. They are also built to act as a control arm, having more leafs to the front to help prevent axle wind-up.

I run Maier rear springs, spring plates, and Bilstein shocks.

t5r5zs.jpg

I agree with you 100% Mike is the best guy, I still have to get my Billstein shocks but I'm using the Maier spring plate panhard bar and leafs. The panhard bat was super easy to put in I thought it was gonna be a pain!

i have the 5 leaf reverse eye on mine, and it really needs a one inch lowering block added, still sits high

Thanks, Yeah I really don't want to put a 2 inch lowering block if I get the mid eye springs. Is there anyway that you could measure from the axle center line up to the fender at 12 o'clock? That would really help me out.

I do like the Maier springs however they are just to much money for me right now.

I really need to get tires and wheels on it first before I do anything. Its got 14x6 Cragar's on it now. I am wanting to go with 17x8 in the the front and 17x9 in the rear. I would like to drag race it some. So I would want to be able to throw a set of 15x8's with a 275/50-15 drag radial on it at the track. I know that I am going to have to roll the fender lips. No big deal. Just need the wheels and tires to know how much. Obviously the correct offset will help. I think a 4.5 b.s. on the front and 5 on the rear should work out pretty well. I looked at that master list that is referenced to quite a bit still don't know if a 5.5 b.s. on the rear would be better with a 9 inch wide wheel.

I went with GAT 4.5mid eyes, if that sits to high I will be going to maier which he lives 30mins away from me. he has more parts that are not posted on his site.

he has tons of different chin spoilers and rear spoilers. u just have to ask.