Sign in to follow this  
shatter

What is the proper paint scheme for coupe side scoops?

Hi,

Someone t-boned my 69 Coupe in January and I finally got the OK from the insurance company to have it fixed. As I remember the car when I bought it from the original owners, the side scoops had a black background with the body color for the test of the scoop.

When I had it painted in 1989, the painter sprayed the whole scoop body color and it has been so long that I can't remember the correct look. Can someone point me to a resource to get information on exactly how the side scoops should be painted and also if the paint should be flat or gloss assuming I am right about the background of the scoop being black.

Thanks!

X-2

You have to split the vent and paint it black for the origanal look...its a pain but depending on your color of the car it will really make the side of the car look alot better...some colors look ok with everthing painted..

Edited by 1969vert

Thanks for all the replies. My coupe is painted Gulfstream Aqua.

The passenger side scoop is completely trashed but they both were painted body color when it was resprayed in 1989. I'd like to get the paint scheme back to stock since the whole passenger side of the car has to be rebuilt. I have to get a new set of magnum 500 wheels since one got ruined and the others are showing their age.

Thanks

20130125132722.jpg

20130125132732.jpg

20130125132739.jpg

20130125132803.jpg

Edited by shatter

Here's a half way decent reference photo for you of how it looks painted correctly.

1969_00059_08.jpg

Even though your car got hit from front to back I think you are lucky getting t-boned the way you did, the rocker looks fine and likely no frame damage, just cosmetic. When my Gulf Stream Aqua convertible got T-boned it was hit square on the rear axle and it twisted things up pretty good. My passenger front fender may have been spared but as I did not realize the car was bent at the time as soon as I opened my driver door I damaged that and the driver side fender instead.