Sign in to follow this  
55Mach1

Edelbrock intakes, super victor or performer air gap

Well i ended up buying both today because i am not sure which one will work best. According to keith craft and ford racing by not using the suggested super victor intake will rob 45hp they said. They said the performer air gap is more streetable of an intake but wont have the torque or power delivery since the engines sweet spot is 3000-5500rpm

Engine is a ford racing 427. 535hp rear sump with porting and other stuff by keith craft which supposed to ve rated around 575hp

What are your guys take on this? I didnt want my car so racey that i can not enjoy it on the street.

They also said i need huge headers and 3 inch exhaust. I wasnt prepared to go redo those parts now as well.

I just wanted a bulletproof motor to cruise and drive all out

When you have a stroker that large, they LOVE to breathe. I tend to picture it as putting a small block intake on a big block motor. Your demand is going to be higher with larger runners with the higher cubic inch stroker compared to a standard 351w. Now whether or not the super victor or air gap is better would be best left to a dyno comparison, but also keep in mind it depends on the camshaft that is in the engine and the RPM range it is designed for. I would tend to listen to Keith Craft but I would also ask what the designed RPM range the motor was designed around. Most likely, even a "dog" of a motor will still knock you in your seat at low RPMs due to the 427 cubes.

Regarding the exhaust, you'll leave some tq/hp on the table with smaller exhaust. Again, more cubes needs more flow and thus the recommendation for 3" exhaust. I personally wouldn't go larger if you already have exhaust. If you were buying new exhaust anyways, then I'd look into larger tubes.

I believe the number 1 consideration is how you intend to use the car. It doesn't really matter if you lose 45 HP at 5500 RPM if you almost never actually drive it at 5500 rpm.

The long stroke will give you a ton of torque at low rpm, so I don't think you have to worry about it being a dog just because you don't go with the recommended intake. If you intend to mostly just cruise around town, I would go with the air gap. You will still be able to have a blast at the drag strip whenever you do go. Will it really matter that you "only" went 10.8 instead of 10.6?

Edited by 69gmachine
spelliing

can you even fit a super vic under your hood? or would you cut it up?

My concern too i am not cutting up my hood. Let me see when they both arrive il take measurements and compare. I also agree i think the air gap will be perfect for my use i think most of these guys i speak with are drag racers and ever last pony means the world to them. I never intend to drag my car when it's done

you might want to understand the header situation. if they did extra porting then it may be designed for something like a 1 7/8" header. if you decide to go with something smaller you may have port alignment issues. i guess this isn't much different that putting a smaller intake runner on a larger runner cylinder head. just another restriction or area of high turbulence.

if you haven't gotten the motor yet, and you decide on smaller headers/smaller manifold then consider not getting the engine you are referring too. going with an engine with a cam and heads designed to work best at higher RPM won't be as efficient in theory at lower RPM's.

i'm also guessing you have the rear sump issues all worked out?

you might want to understand the header situation. if they did extra porting then it may be designed for something like a 1 7/8" header. if you decide to go with something smaller you may have port alignment issues. i guess this isn't much different that putting a smaller intake runner on a larger runner cylinder head. just another restriction or area of high turbulence.

if you haven't gotten the motor yet, and you decide on smaller headers/smaller manifold then consider not getting the engine you are referring too. going with an engine with a cam and heads designed to work best at higher RPM won't be as efficient in theory at lower RPM's.

i'm also guessing you have the rear sump issues all worked out?

My headers will work as i just measured the primary tubes at 1.75 and that is what they suggested, my collector is 2.5 as is my exhaust. i think il be fine in regards to the exhaust end of things.

il check the heights of the Performer RPM Air Gap and the Super Victor when they arrive, il try and take side by side photos for reference.

what i dont like is the Super Victor is rated at a much higher RPM range and doesn't seem to be the intake of choice for cruising around local etc. The Performer RPM Air Gap seems to be spec within the more usable range for my driving.

What are the rear sump issues? as the engine comes rear sump and I have a custom Canton Oil pan that works with the DSE front Aluma Frame.

oil pan hitting steering components if not acounted for. if the DSE front aluma frame alleviates this, then it sounds like you may have thought about it.

i'm guessing the super vic is level like the vic jr is. comparing carb heights won't tell the whole story. mount a carb and air cleaner and the difference in carb pad angle can cause more issues. i would agree on the mention of the vic jr.

The edelbrock website states the A & B measurements for comparisons. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/ford/victor-289.shtml

The Super Victor is 6.97" for both A & B measurements (depending on which of the many Super Victors you purchased)

The Air Gap is 5.31" for A and 6.19" for B. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/ford/rpm_air_gap-289.shtml

The Vic Jr is 5.59" for both A and B. The Vic Jr is a popular intake for the SBF stroker motors.

The edelbrock website states the A & B measurements for comparisons. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/ford/victor-289.shtml

The Super Victor is 6.97" for both A & B measurements (depending on which of the many Super Victors you purchased)

The Air Gap is 5.31" for A and 6.19" for B. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/ford/rpm_air_gap-289.shtml

The Vic Jr is 5.59" for both A and B. The Vic Jr is a popular intake for the SBF stroker motors.

What is a better all around intake,Victor Jr or the Performer RPM Air Gap?

What is a better all around intake,Victor Jr or the Performer RPM Air Gap?

It depends on your combo. What heads are on it? What's the cam duration at .050?

Personally, a Vic Jr is the smallest intake I'd use on 400+ displacement small block.

Edited by sportsroof69

guys this is the engine i bought and its specs

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11832

all KC did was some porting and valves they are using these Z heads which i think Kasse helped in their design, they are really good heads and this motor is capable of close to 700hp easily with a cam swap and other tweaks. it has room to grow

Here are the heads.

http://www.thefordsource.com/store/pdf/cyl_heads/M-6049-Z304.pdf

I think you're mistaken on what it takes to make 700 HP N/A, and if by "easily," you mean spending a whole bunch of money....okay.

With the cam duration I see, I'd put a Vic Jr on it. With the head flow #s I see, a super Vic would be okay, but no performer air gap.

Update i have the victor jr, super victor and rpm air gap in my garage. The super victor is way tall. The victor jr and rpmmair gap have an identical height except the rpm air gap tilts the carb base forward for some unknown reason. It looks like il go with the victor jr after speaking in detail to ford and edelbrock they suggested the victor jr. I just hope i have enough room for my shaker scoop. My dse engine mounta have adj shims i jusr hope its enough to drop the engine lower to clear hood. Few weeks time we shall find out.

That angle on the air gap manifold matches the factory angle for the carb base. If you use an intake with a flat base, your shaker will have a nose high attitude. If your shaker is an original, I wouldn't be inclined to cut it up... but it's your car.

Alternatively, you could modify a standard base and save the original.

If you have simple fabrication tools like an angle grinder with a cutoff disc and a drill, you can make your own drop motor mounts. See my sig. You can lower the motor up to 1" without interference with the shock towers on the mounts. It opens up other cans of worms like the engine crossmember needing modified, but my steering and longtube headers cleared fine. I think you can go up to 1/2" without affecting the crossmember. Buckeyedemon lowered his motor 1/2" and cut up a stock non-shaker base to make it a drop base. He got the shaker to work on his car with the Vic Jr, it just takes a bit more work! If you don't have a steel base requirement, you may be able to modify a fiberglass base easier. I find it easier to lay fabric and resin and sand to mold rather than shaping metal and welding LOL

I'm betting that an aftermarket oil pan and lowering engine mounts will cause either steering linkage or crossmember clearance issue, or both. My 351w has a Moroso pan and RMP engine mounts and am working through these issues now.

Why not meet in the middle with a Vic jr? A Vic Jr is a great street intake for a long stroke engine.

With that engine, I agree with Sportsroof. A Vic Jr. won't be a dog on the street. It'll still be fun to drive.