Sign in to follow this  
Nabendroth

1969 Mustang Convertible Restoration

Sorry for the long read to start off But here we go!

Afternoon fellow 69stang members. This thread is to start the process of restoring the 1969 convertible that I got a couple months ago. It has been just sitting collecting dust since I've got it. Hopefully this will jumpstart the progress and get me getting into gear with it. I will be doing a ground up resto on this and will be touching every single part of the car making it as original as possible.

A little bit about me. I have been in the Classic car hobby for, I would say, the past 6 years. Not really doing much but still enjoying the occasional swap meet and car show. I will try and keep this as short as possible. So it first started when I bought a 69' coupe 6 years ago. Started with that which I'm glad I did to learn the certain processes and parts of the 69/70 mustangs. Nowadays I like to enjoy learning the histories of the cars and parts as well as learn what every part used to look like and getting it back to the way it was. Now on to the plans and pictures of the convertible.

In the present moment I have a bunch of ideas to, We will say, "improve" the look and functionality of the 69' convertible I have. I will explain most of them in this first post but will keep a couple for later. All parts will be original though not original to the car but original ford parts with ford numbers. Yes I know most of the time its not cost effective but I like the fact I can say its built with all original ford parts.

**Please feel free to add any ideas or comments. Correct me if I'm wrong in the restoration of a part. I'm not perfect so anything to add to the thread/car to make it better will be greatly appreciated

Plans are as follows

Date coded 351W w/Shaker

Date coded Toploader 4 speed

Front disk brakes

Powersteering

Non-Ac unit

Deluxe interior with console

Possible tach dash If I can find one for a good price

Sport mirrors

Mach1 front bucket seats

Possibly a fully functional tilt steering wheel

Magnum 500 Rims

Colors for now will be

Grabber Blue w/ White top and white interior.

9c1769d2-074f-45d8-bcd2-025c0c60bcfa.jpg

1969convertible2.jpg

1969convertible3.jpg

1969convertible4.jpg

1969convertible5.jpg

Edited by Nabendroth

I will be starting on the front end and moving my way back. It looks to me the front end is pretty much trash as is a good percentage of the car, Looks like a body shop was bondo happy. I plan on using no bondo or plastic filler of any sorts. Any filling in I need to do is going to be with a lead based alloy brazing rod.

So here are a couple of pictures of the front end and the rust it has. Shock towers have been welded and gallons of bondo used on the top to fill it in smooth. I will be replacing all of the inner sheet metal with all original metal. I will be looking for a parts car with a good shell and front end to do the replacing. I have the sheet metal closest to the firewall already on a 69 parts car.

Currently has a 302 in which will be up for sale when I'm able to get it out of the car. Looks to be a good re-buildable engine.

1969convertible6.jpg

From this view you can see the rot that it has on the inner fender aprons. This was repaired by using fiberglass. Definitely not up to my standards!

1969convertible7.jpg

This shows that the frame rail has suffered some rust through. Sprayed it with some rust inhibiter to spot the rusting when I first got it. So that will have to be replaced.

1969convertible8.jpg

Nick,

Good luck with your Vert project. The rot on top of the inner fender panels seems to be a common thing for 69 & 70 Mustangs. The 3 of these year Mustangs I have had all had it there.

Mike.

Nick,

Good luck with your Vert project. The rot on top of the inner fender panels seems to be a common thing for 69 & 70 Mustangs. The 3 of these year Mustangs I have had all had it there.

Mike.

Yeah its seems that it is. I haven't seen it as bad as this though. And thanks im hoping to get moving on it soon. hoping to find a front clip soon.

No problem or shame with body filler, as long as it's used correctly. Good luck.

Bob

True story. I guess skim coats of it is fine but still would like to say no bondo has been used on the project. Its seems like everyone I talk to is completely against it. Who knows there may be some situation that I have to use small amounts of it. But we will see.

Ok so got alittle update to do. I've just received a front inner fender from a 70' that will be replacing most of what is on the convertible right now. The front core support on the 69' will stay seeing there are differences from 69' to 70'. Also finally got a chain to pull the engine so that has been done now.

If anyone is looking for a nice 69' 302 let me know. I will be switching out to go to a 351W.

Innerfenderstructure1.jpg

Innerfenderstructure2.jpg

Going to see about getting some of the bigger parts media blasted. Theres a mobile company in town that does it. I will be checking on prices here in the next week.