Sign in to follow this  
murphym84

69 reproduction fender quality

Hello everyone. I have been doing a lot of searching around and have seen a lot of mixed reviews on after market sheet metal for the 69 mustang. most of the talk and threads I have seen are a few years old. I am looking for a front fender and door for a 69 project. I see people talk about original ford tooling but can't seem to find anything . If anyone has experience or advice on the best fenders and doors made I would really appreciate it. Mine are toast and I can't find any originals worth fixing around here.

I am glad to hear that some people are having good luck with dynacorn parts. I have seen mixed opinions on the products and was hoping they would improve because some of the threads were a few years old. I haven't seen anything good about the fenders they produce so I was hoping someone else was producing a better fender that I didn't know about .

About the only ford tooling sheet metal being reproduced is the hood. All other is overseas.

Doors: Your best bet is to find a used door. Otherwise use a dynacorn skin, I bought both the CJ skin and the dynacorn. The dynacorn is a heavier gauge sheet metal. Its not going to be perfect but you can massage it and fab it in. Just a little extra work.

Fender: Again, your best bet is to find a used fender and repair it yourself Otherwise the dynacorn or goodmark are you only choices. They are not the greatest and will definately need some massaging. The amount of work you will put in the repo sheetmetal to get it right as possible is more than reworking a used fender.

I know cjponyparts.com has a lot of Ford tooling parts. And there reasonably priced.

Have you purchased doors,fenders,quarters from Cjponyparts for a 69 or 70 mustang? because they definately are not even close to ford tooling. The no-name doors,quarters and fenders all have horrible gaps, needing 1/8 rod to be welded/shaped all over. Goodmark/Dynacorn fenders fit alot better but still bad fitment.

I appreciate the replies and advice. This is exactly what im looking for is real world experience. I guess I will continue my hunt for a good door and fender. Its a shame as many people restore these cars that a company cant come through with a good quality product. To me more people would be willing to pay a little more money for something you can bolt on and dont have to mess with. Only in a perfect world haha.

Dynacorn doors shells and front fenders used here. Doors needed a great deal of massaging in many places including grinding and rewelding the leading edge that butted up against an original fender because the arc didn't match and gaps were bad. Passenger side fender had to cut and piece in to get the top along the windshield to match original body lines.

I agree with the comment about trying to use original door shells and reskinning them if possible. The repro shells have a lot of holes missing or slightly out of place.

IMHO the worst repro pieces are the hoods, all of the ones I have used have been far more flimsy than originals.

But when you live in salty air Florida, originals that aren't swiss cheese are hard to come by!

Dynacorn doors shells and front fenders used here. Doors needed a great deal of massaging in many places including grinding and rewelding the leading edge that butted up against an original fender because the arc didn't match and gaps were bad. Passenger side fender had to cut and piece in to get the top along the windshield to match original body lines.

I agree with the comment about trying to use original door shells and reskinning them if possible. The repro shells have a lot of holes missing or slightly out of place.

IMHO the worst repro pieces are the hoods, all of the ones I have used have been far more flimsy than originals.

But when you live in salty air Florida, originals that aren't swiss cheese are hard to come by!

I just purchased a Goodmark repro and it's solid weight wise. Have not aligned gap yet. Best part was it showed up dented lightly and they knocked off $125.