Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

Nhra?

Last year I went to my first NASCAR trip, and had a hoot. Got some good suggestions from a post on here.

I thought I'd ask to see if there are any NHRA fans on the board? I was planning on going to Indianapolis (Lucas Oil Raceway) on the Labour Day long weekend, but wondered if anybody had some tips for the trip?

Book your room early, bring hearing protection and a camera and have fun :walkman:. I haven't been to Indy in 20 years but I recall it's a friendly town and relatively easy to get around. I'm seriously considering taking the vert to the MCA National show there in August.

hearing protection -- good idea. I forgot about this at NASCAR, but thankfully picked up a set of ear buds on the way!

I've booked a room already, even though you can't buy tickets yet from the Lucas Oil Raceway (or NHRA) site. I'll just modify/cancel them if required.

I was curious how 'open' the pit area was. Anybody else been to an NHRA event lately?

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the openness of the pit area!!!! You can go anywhere you want in the pits, the only exception would be that most (not all) of the Top Fuel and Fuel Funny Car pits have rope barriers at their pit space while they are working on the cars, however, the drivers usually come out to the rope when they have a little free time to sign autographs and have their photo taken with the fans. You will still be plenty close to the cars (15 to 20 feet) to see all the pit action, and remember to bring your hearing protection when they fire up the Nitro cars to warm them up. Extremely loud, but when they crack the throttle a few times to "seat" the clutch, you will literally "FEEL" the POWER!!! Have Fun, it's a GREAT time for Horsepower Junkies!!! Mike