Sign in to follow this  
Endeavour32

Suggestions for removing wheel lock?

Take a regular stock steel wheel style lug nut and weld it to the end of the lock. The beveled side of the nut makes a perfect bevel for laying a bead. Then simply use a 13/16" socket and take it out. Have done that numerous times and it works well.

Cover up the wheel and tire before welding though with a welding blanket or some thick aluminum foil layered over several times.

Find a socket that's just a tad too small to fit over the wheel lock. Preferably a deep impact socket. Hammer it on. You should be able to loosen the lock up then.

Perfect- I was wondering if that would work! Thanks guys- I'll let you know if it works.

A cheap chinese socket works best, as the socket walls are thinner and will stretch over the wheel lock. Quality socket will likely just crack, or not go on at all and then slip and damage your wheel.

I've had this issue twice. The first time, my car was at a shop and my guy there found a deep socket about the same diameter as the wavy part of the lock. He heated the end of the socket cherry red, stuck it on the lug nut and whacked it with a hammer, forming a removal tool that fits in the lug.

Second time, I took a picture of the lug nut, emailed it to McGard, and then they helped me buy the tool that fit it. I didn't have a torch to use to replicate the first method and the wheel had very deep lug nut recesses so there weren't too many options that wouldn't ruin the wheel.

Another method that could use is a real small grinding wheel on a Dremel tool. Just grind away at it. There might not be enough room, some of these other suggestions seem better. I have used my dremel to cut off stripped nuts, it should work for this.

Second time, I took a picture of the lug nut, emailed it to McGard, and then they helped me buy the tool that fit it. I didn't have a torch to use to replicate the first method and the wheel had very deep lug nut recesses so there weren't too many options that wouldn't ruin the wheel.

I like that idea best! I'd hate accidentally messing up a good wheel.

I'm calling McGard, I had to e-mail them a picture for the same issue I had with some sterndrive locks that were on my boat when I bought it. The socket and hammer method didn't work and I don't feel like wasting more time on it. For $10 I can have the proper key.