Sign in to follow this  
fredfordguy

Exterior Door Handles

Hi, I am in the process of replacing the handles on our Mach, the old ones are ok, but the chrome is showing 40+ years of use. Has anyone out there had any experience good or bad with any of the repros out there? Any advice would be welcome. thanks a lot....

I bought a set of scott drake repro's for my convertible. They looked/fit great. There are a couple of types you can buy... one with a trigger mechanism that doesn't fit the '69 and one that does. The one that does not have the compatible part will still work, if you save your stock mechanism on the rear of the handle. It'll save you a few bucks too.

I think this is the one I ended up getting:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/exterior-door-handle-kit-chrome-1964-66-and-1969-70-1964-1966/p/EDH1/

The chrome on the repops isn't nearly the same as the original and won't last anywhere near as long but they work okay. The chrome on ALL repop parts suffer the same problem. How's the car coming anyway?

Slowly, but the painter assured me it would be back in time for summer cruzin'. Guess I'll look around for some nos handles, mine aren't bad, but I just got a set of nos boomerangs and would like the door handles to match...

Trying to decided which way to go myself. Leaning towards re-chroming mine once I dig them out and see how good of shape they are in. I looked around a bit in the Boss 302 and Concourse forums and read a little about Daniel Carpenter making a Ford tooling handle specific for 69 that is supposed to be a good option. I beleive NPD has them listed in their newest catalag.

To get a good chrome plate job, you will pay for it and is something that wouldn't likely be a hot seller in the reproduction market. People are cheap and thus the prices and chrome quality reflect that. Any idea on prices for the Daniel Carpenter ones? I believe a quality chrome job for door handles will be in the $150-200 for the pair, but its been awhile since I was quoted this price. Scour the forums and you'll find certain chrome places that have a good reputation, and get a quote from them. I believe there is one in Tennessee and one in Texas that has a good rep, IIRC.

The consensus was that the Daniel Carpenter door handles were hard to find, but generally were of good quality. When I spoke to NPD last week they stated part #22404-1 & 22405-1 wew DC's at $62.95ea. I intend to inquire again about the supplier before I actually place the order just to confirm.

Keep in mind NOS ones are available on ebay every once in awhile, and would be similar price to the Daniel Carpenters ones but without the buttons and hardware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1964-1965-1966-1969-1970-MUSTANG-SHELBY-BOSS-OUTSIDE-DOOR-HANDLES-TRIM-/121050085572?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2f25b8c4&vxp=mtr

Keep in mind NOS ones are available on ebay every once in awhile, and would be similar price to the Daniel Carpenters ones but without the buttons and hardware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1964-1965-1966-1969-1970-MUSTANG-SHELBY-BOSS-OUTSIDE-DOOR-HANDLES-TRIM-/121050085572?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2f25b8c4&vxp=mtr

Got 'em on my watch list...thanks a lot