Sign in to follow this  
Cayenne06

390 efi

Well, I finally have given up on the carb on my 390 Mach 1 and will be starting the install of an Atomic EFI system Wednesday. If anyone on the forum has successfully completed this transformation I am open to any advice. We will be using a return on the system and mounting the pump outside the tank. I have a mildly built 390: edel heads, 428PI intake, Comp 270H cam, Petronix ignition, 428CJ ex manifolds with 2.5" exhaust system. Making no more than 400 hp so the Atomic system should be more than large enough and allow some growing room.

This would be great to see your results and hear others thoughts. I'd like to do the very same to my 428 when the time comes instead of forking out for a new carb, my thinking is the EFI would be a better, more reliable investment.

Hey there, Bruce! Yep, still kicking mate, just slowly. Tired of looking at my car gathering dust unfortunately.

Ready for summer? It's crazy hot here! Hitting the low 40's today, which I think is around the 110F for you guys. Kids are on school holidays so I'm stuck inside sitting in the A/C with them.

Ash, Yeah, I guess it is the middle of summer there huh? Oh well it's freezing here dude. I haven't had the cash to do anything with my car in nearly a year so I feel your pain. It's so close to to her first fire-up its not even funny, yet so far away. Chow! B

Ash, Yeah, I guess it is the middle of summer there huh? Oh well it's freezing here dude. I haven't had the cash to do anything with my car in nearly a year so I feel your pain. It's so close to to her first fire-up its not even funny, yet so far away. Chow! B

Yeah man, summer here. We've got heat waves, crazy storms, humidity, hail, drought, flash floods, all going on at the same time. You never know what the next day will bring. It was still 40C at 6pm last night! I'll swap you guys any day for the colder weather. We don't get as cold as you, but I'd prefer that then being constantly covered in a layer of sweat.

I was cruising around the interwebs yesterday and found some cool clips of the Atomic system on some stroker Windsors and stroker FE's. Man, they are smooth. The more you read and look the more of a good idea it seems to have an easy starting and reliable car.

I didn't realise either that Holley have a kit out now too. On par money wise with the MSD but it didn't look as neat.

Cayenne, what are you doing to run an in-tank pump. Are you doing a tank mod or a bolt in system? I know with the 625hp Atomic set-up you get a larger fuel pump, did you just buy the 550hp kit and use your own pump?

I didn't realise either that Holley have a kit out now too. On par money wise with the MSD but it didn't look as neat.

Cayenne, what are you doing to run an in-tank pump. Are you doing a tank mod or a bolt in system? I know with the 625hp Atomic set-up you get a larger fuel pump, did you just buy the 550hp kit and use your own pump?

Over here the Holley kit is much more expensive. I am mounting the pump outside the tank because I do not want to pull the new tank and modify it. I am using the basic 550 hp kit because I have no more than 400 hp now and don't think I will build it more than 500.

Got started on the EFI install today. Ran the supply, mounted the pump, filters, and control module. Fabricated 2 mounting brackets. So far we have not drilled any new holes and everything can be returned to stock. Won't be able get back to the project until Monday. I'll be posting pictures of the completed install. So far no suprises.

Got the efi on and running but still tweaking. Not happy with the fuel pump noise and fuel filter. I went with a return system but now see for the best results I need an in tank fuel pump. When I get it all dailed in I know I will be pleased, but I want to wait and post a full report when I have my final configuration as well as total expenses.

That's some great feedback! Look forward to hearing your progress.

Sounds like if an in-tank pump is the preference, best to plan ahead while the project develops for those like me doing a complete build.

Cayeene06-have u decided on what intake pump, the tank inc is nice kit.

That what iam using ,but when the fuel is less than 3/8 of a tank it does loose fuel pressure on wot, this is my fault do to the location of the pump. as for the fuel filter get a fram g3727 filter and russell power steering fittings 648060. the fitting are the same thread as the fuel filter and the oring stop it from leaking.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Fram-Autolite/410/G3727/10002/-1?parentProductId=1568062

http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/648060/10002/-1

The system is running but the pump is still mounted external and is very noisy. My EFI tank will ship out from Rick's Tanks on Friday and I hope to have it installed by next Wednesday. It works great, a huge improvement over the 750 Holley. I have driven the car about 600 miles and am still "tweaking" the settings. Throttle response is much improved as well as fuel economy (still not great at 12 mpg). The car is easier to crank, hot or cold, off idle acceleration is better and it looks very neat under the hood. Shaker works, although I did have to use an air cleaner spacer for clearence. Now the shaker sits about 1/4" higher than stock, but most people would never notice it. Once I get the tank installed I'll take some more photos and give everyone a complete update on the results as well as the total cost.

More great feedback thanks, Cayenne! All the reasons you mention in the way it runs and performs are exactly why I'd like to go this way as well. Only question mark I have over mine now is how you needed a carby spacer. I don't think I'm going to have room for that as the Blue Thunder intake I have pushes the shaker up higher already. May have to take a bit of thinking on that one.

Anyway, looks great. Cheers!

Not sure which engine you have, but I had to use the air cleaner spacer with the old Holley carb also. The base of the air cleaner assembly for the shaker would not clear the float bowls on the old carb, and it doesn't clear the throttle body on the EFI. My car was not an original shaker car. The original air cleaner assmebly clears everything OK. I purchased a re-conditioned OEM shaker that is supposed to work on the 428CJ. It may not have the correct base and that may be the reason I am having clearence issues. For me it works fine with the air cleaner spacer.